• Register Today It's free!

Headlights won't work...'96 XLT

hmiller

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
My headlights won't go on in my '96 XLT. When you thur the switch (or the auto lights kick on), all the lights work except for the headlamps. (corner lights, taillamps all work, interior lights dim.) Recently, this would happen, but I could get the headlamps to turn on by flicking the high beams, but now even this doesn't work. The high beams work when you hold the switch toward the driver, but not when you push the switch toward the dash (where they stay on by themselves.) Help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the problem my brother had and is an "easy" fix. the multifunction switch (turn signal stalk) is bad. the headlights are wired through that and it prob needs replaced. you have the same symptoms as his. the part is available at local auto parts stores for 40-60 bucks. there are directions on a thread somewhere on here if you search "multifunction switch, no headlights, turn signal switch etc...)

I'm having the same problem on my 99 sport first the high beams wouldn't work, then the low beams, no headlights. If I pull back on the the lever to flash, they come on. If you guys have anymore info on this I would greatly appreciate it! My wife is a nurse on call and if she gets called in tonight, she won't be able to get there, unless I'm home from work first. HELP?

Like the poster said above, my problem was fixed by replacing the turn signal stalk. It's an easy fox; Advance Auto has the part for about $75, if I remember correctly. I'm sure you think this couldn't have anything to do with your problem, but it's a common issue on these trucks, and replacing the stalk WILL fix it.
Good luck!

I am having the same problem. No lights, except when I pull the stick towards me. I drove for 20 min like this home. Really stucked. I purchased the Multi Fu** up Switch for $71 from the dealer and that didn't fix it.
Any other suggestions?

I am having the same problem. No lights, except when I pull the stick towards me. I drove for 20 min like this home. Really stucked. I purchased the Multi Fu** up Switch for $71 from the dealer and that didn't fix it.
Any other suggestions?

Did you check the fuses (both under the dash and under the hood) and fusible links?

Fuses in side of dash and under the hood are all good. I even swapped them with other fuses of same size to make sure. I broke down and ordered a new headlight switch. I'll install tomorrow to see if that fixes it.

A new headlight switch fixed the problem. Was $37 from the dealer.
A lot of people suggested the LOM (light out module) under the message center. My 97 Mountaineer does not have the message center in the console so I don't have a LOM module under it.

Thanks you all

I have a 96 XLT and had the same problem as the original post. I went to Autozone and bought a multifunction switch and installed it. Now my headlights work, high beams work and fog lights work but my blinkers and hazard lights do not work. And even worse, when I try to start the car, the entire car's electrical system shuts down like a fuse is blown. When I disengage the battery and hook it back up, I get power but cannot start the car. I have checked the fuses on the side of the dash and under the hood. Please help!!!

is the turn signal switch the same as the mutifunction switch

01 ford eplr no headlights only if i hold switch towards me tried replacing switch still not working what could this be

I have some what of the same problem I don't have high beams but have low and turn signals

Same here I have low beams but not high also have turn signals

Back