How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

The Electrician

Reaction score
City, State
Makkah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT 4WD V6
After the transmission quit on me after bad abuse, I made a complete overhaul using TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 and componants in order to make the transmission more capable to handle abuse (That what I thought)

Unfortunately the illusion did not last for long. Because after only 8 months and 25K Mile, the transmission quit on me again (this time I lost the auto function + reverse) with only P1700 code, and when I dropped the transmission for a complete inspection, I found that I have damaged overdrive ring gear bearing and overdrive one way clutches (rotate free-wheal in both direction). Also I found that all clutches and bands were toasted.

It turns out that TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 comes with all Alto Red Eagle clutches, Alto Red Eagle flex bands and Kolene steels are just plane junk and a big waste of money

The lesson I learned: Never trust a rebuild kit from any vendor if it contains Alto Red Eagle clutches, Alto Red Eagle flex bands and Kolene steels

So after reading lots of threads and articles about beefing up 5R55S specially for powered-added Mustangs s197, I ordered Level 10 PTS Automatic Bulletproof 5R55S Master Rebuilding Kit, while keeping TCI input Shaft.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0708_ford_performance_transmission_build/index.html

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1106_5r55s_transmission_rebuild/viewall.html

Level 10 PTS Automatic Bulletproof 5R55S Master Rebuilding Kit

The Kit consist of:

• 5R55W/S raybestos clutches
  • 5R55W/S OEM forward bands
  • 5R55W/S OEM forward Piston
  • 5R55W/S OEM Int. & O/D servos
  • 5R55W/S OEM oil filter
  • TransTech paper and rubber with sealing rings and bushing kit
  • Superior Transmission Parts, pressure relief valve kit #K060

mmfp_0708_02_z+5R55S_level_10_transmission_build+internals.jpg

http://www.levelten.com/Level_10_PTS_Automatic_Bulletproof_Rebuilding_Kit_p/fordctl-fo110-5000.htm

Eliminating Cold-Start Valve, valve body Modification
Skip this if you are installing Superior Transmission Parts, Shift Correction Package art #Superior K5R55W/N/S

mmfp-1106-07-o+5R55S-transmission-rebuild+cold-start-valve.jpg

In order to modify cold-start valve to remain locked:

• Disassemble cold-start valve on the bench.
  • Relocate the big spring to the other side as it shown in the following photo for full trans-cooler flow.
How To: Eliminate Cold-Start Valve in 5R55W/S Valve-Body for Full Trans-Cooler Flow

attachment.php

I installed remote transmission filters kit and for more durability and cooled transmission I installed Performance Automatic Deep Pan with Dipstick #PA27455KT

5777525125_337a2b2b39_b.jpg

5778088802_72d9095e66_b.jpg

5778075240_4e1bfeed41_b.jpg

5778082768_371c99479a_b.jpg

5778072496_67c4c286e5_b.jpg

Here are photos of the dipstick

5841284469_762b497564_b.jpg

5841830704_f16da2e088_b.jpg

5841281519_ef401706a8_b.jpg

5841279737_85b34243da_b.jpg

Also I replaced the solenoid valve and torque converter with OEM (the new solenoid valve was updated design by Ford with a new part number)

The installation was a direct bolt on, only you need to fabricate a new bracket for the dipstick (originally designed to be fixed to the V8 bellhouse)

The only issue is that I may need to remove the exhaust Y pipe assembly if I need to change transmission oil filter in the future and for that I recommend

After that I update the vehicle computer strategy at Ford dealer

The transmission now works better than before (there was a hasitation on 3rd gear and now it is gone)

with better response and more firm (not harsh)

______________________________________________________________________​

I recommend buying Ford 5R55W/S OEM rebuilding kit along with Superior Transmission Parts, Shift Correction Package #Superior K5R55W/N/S

Ford OEM 5R55W/S Master Rebuilding Kit

Ford #7L2Z-7H575-A
Motorcraft #MTK-K2700-F​

which includes almost everything you need for a complete rebuild
  • All New OEM Clutches
  • All New OEM Steels (YOU WILL NEED STEELS!)
  • All New OEM Flex Bands
  • All New OEM Sealing Rings
  • All New OEM Metal Clad Seals
  • All New OEM Paper Gaskets (Valve Body Plate & Bonded Gaskets is NOT included)
  • All New OEM O-Rings
  • All New OEM Gaskets

As it illustrated in the following diagram​

attachment.php

you may need to add the following parts to the kit
  • OEM Valve Body Plate & Bonded Gaskets #4L2Z-7Z490-AA
  • OEM Forward clutch piston #6L2Z-7A262-BA
  • OEM Low reverse piston #4L2Z-7D189-AA

Superior Transmission Parts Shift Correction Package #Superior K5R55W/N/S

Due to the factory design of no cooler flow cold, it is extremely temperamental to fill and get a correct level, as well as running extremely hot compared to others without flow control systems.
We finally broke through with our patent pending Sure-Cool Full Time Cooler Flow Valve along with enhanced Lube system that nearly Triples the Flow through the cooler and parts, especially the O.D. Planetary.
These Flow Control Upgrades virtually eliminate front Planetary Burn-up due to lack of Poor/ No lube.
This new system also furnishes a built in cooler bypass system that if the unit is extremely cold (fluid starts to gel) or in the event the cooler is blocked / restricted, flow to the parts still occurs - protecting your investment.

This New 5R55 W/N/S Shift Correction Package includes:
  • Our Ever Popular K060 "No Stick" Line Pressure Relief Valve Kit
  • New Lock-up upgrade system that allows an On-Off Type Apply that is proof the lock up apply does not have to be firm and harsh to be fixed
  • 3-4 Drum Piston return springs replace the often found fatigued originals, due to band and drum burn up
  • Addresses several TCC error & shift solenoid error codes as well as P0740
  • Keeps Solenoid Blocks, Parts and Components Cooler and well lubricated, with these New system Upgrades and Superior Quality "Real Steel" Components.
Backed with solid TransLab Engineered improvements from Superior Transmission Parts, Inc. you now have a choice.

222-Web1.jpg

Bushings:

5R55S Bushing Kit Part #46030

IMG_20150601_181521.jpg

Overdrive Bushing, Servo Pin Bore Repair Part #T-9213-SL
Intermediate Bushing, Servo Pin Bore Repair Part #T-9213A-SL

IMG_20150601_181447.jpg

TCI High Preformance Input Shaft #579600

TCI® Hardened Input Shaft is constructed from hardened, aircraft quality Vaccu Melt 300 billet steel. Features increased lubrication flow and strength with a resized diameter that provides optimum stress distribution along the entire length of shaft and along the extended high gear splines to the oil ring.​

S2010621.jpg

B&M Remote Transmission Filters Kit part #80277 with MotorCarft FL-400S Filter

bmm-80277.jpg

In-Line Secondary Aux Transmission Cooler

Tru-Cool Max 40,000 GVW Low Pressure Drop Transmission Oil Cooler with Thermal Bypass part #LPD4739

I recommend to disconnect the OEM Trans cooler within the radiator and rely on this trans cooler

lpd4739-front.jpg

Trick Flow® Transmission Pans Part #TFS-1012

It is a bit shallower and it will clear the exhaust y-pipe assembly better

TFS-1012_xl.jpg

Last thing, I just want to emphasize the importance of:
  • Eliminating oil pump end play by choosing the correct thrust washer.
  • proper adjusting the bands according to specs.

Useful File

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn! How much did all that work cost you?

I got TCI Parts for good baregn at buyracingparts.com

http://www.buyracingparts.com/transmission/tci-transmission/transmission-parts/5r55s-1.html

TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 - $630.00
TCI Intermediate Jumbo Servo Kit #576005 - $68.40
TCI Overdrive Jumbo Servo #576006 - $68.40
TCI High Preformance Input Shaft #579600 - $150.00

and from Summitracing.com, I got Performance Automatic Deep Pan with Dipstick #PA27455KT - $339.15

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PMA-PA27455KT/

shipping to forward facility in USA (Shopandship.com) then to Saudi Arabia - $627.98

OEM solenoid Pack - $393.10

OEM Torque Converter - $643.37

Intallation in a local transmission workshop - $550

Updating computer strategy at Ford dealer - $40

so total = $3510.67

^^^^

yes very usefull, and it really help keep the transmission cold relativly, spcially with the heat of the desert :)

Cool! Thanks for the photos.

Cool! Thanks for the photos.

You're welcome. :D

The dipstick is a very worth while upgrade. Did you upgrade the bands as well?

Yes I did when I used the TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 which included Xtreme Performance HD frictions clutches, nitride steel plates and high performance flex bands with special heat treated struts.

do you think that the overhaul kit you used from tci would work in a 5r55w transmission?

Allaa', a few questions about the transmission pan:

I take it you can now add fluid through the dipstick instead of pumping it in from the underside of the pan?

Is the dipstick calibrated (marked) for the correct fluid level or do you need to mark it yourself once you have determined the pan is full of fluid?

Have you been able to determine how much the extra 4 quarts of fluid has lowered the normal operating temperature of the transmission?

do you think that the overhaul kit you used from tci would work in a 5r55w transmission?

Yes the overhaul kit and servo kits could be use for 5R55W

Allaa', a few questions about the transmission pan:

I take it you can now add fluid through the dipstick instead of pumping it in from the underside of the pan?

Is the dipstick calibrated (marked) for the correct fluid level or do you need to mark it yourself once you have determined the pan is full of fluid?

Have you been able to determine how much the extra 4 quarts of fluid has lowered the normal operating temperature of the transmission?

Yes James, you can add ATF from the dipstick and it is marked and easy to read, just when you are filling it (the engine should be running), add 3 extra quarts (compared to stock pan) and fill to the bottom line, then take a drive for a while and make sure transmission reached normal operation temperature, then complete ATF while the engine is running to the mid (extra oil will be spilled out from breathing vent on the top of bell housing)

I don't have a way to measure ATF temperature. but I don't think the pan will lower the normal operation temperature, because in the 5R55S there is a thermostat valve that control the circulation of ATF in the trans-cooler to preserve the optimum operation temperature from going down.
The pan will help to prevent the ATF from over heated because it is made of aluminum and it is more exposed to air flow under the truck. Also, with the extra oil it will be heated in slower rate. in other word it will help to preserve the optimum operation temperature from going up.

Thank you BrooklynBay for the information :thumbsup:

I'll try to prepare my laptop to be used as a data-logger with SCT LiveWire maybe next week

scanguage 2 best way to monitor the truck...

i love this thread :D

great info thanks :thumbsup:

EDIT: for anyone else out there that is interested in the deep pan to add the dipstick to your truck...i found the pan for a cheap price...told ronin and the electrician about it...its backordered but buying it for cheap and waiting for it is still good for me... not sure where i could post the link but ill just do it here

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product....gle&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping

It appears that the larger pan puts it closer to the exhaust and cat converter. Does the temperature from those two have a chance of heating up the fluid in the pan to an unacceptable temp? Would a heat shield do any good there?

I'm not quit sure if the exhaust y pipe will heat up the pan or not

I went beneath the truck many times and the pan is not over heated

I reason think is because, if truck is in drive the air flow will push all the heat backwards, and if the truck in stop the deep pan will receive the same amount of heat as the stock pan (heat moves upward)

when I receive the scangaugeII i'll have the readings regarding the ATF temperature for sure and post it here

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After only 8 months and 25K Mile of a complete overhaul using TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005, the transmission quit on me again (this time I lost the auto function + reverse) with only P1700 code and when I dropped the transmission for a complete inspection, I found that I have damaged overdrive one way clutches (rotate free-wheal in both direction) and burned clutches and bands.

It turns out that TCI Ultimate Master Racing Overhaul Kit #579005 comes with all Alto Red Eagle clutches, flex bands and Kolene steels are just plane garbage and a big waste of money

The lesson I learned: Never trust a rebuild kit from any vendor if it contains Alto Red Eagle clutches, Alto Red Eagle flex bands and Kolene steels

so after reading lots of threads about beefing up 5R55S I ordered Level 10 PTS Automatic Bulletproof Rebuilding Kit 5R55S while keeping TCI Jumbo Servos and input Shaft.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0708_ford_performance_transmission_build/index.html

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1106_5r55s_transmission_rebuild/viewall.html

Attachments

• IMG-20111206-00151.jpg
    IMG-20111206-00151.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 16,816
  • IMG-20111206-00152.jpg
    IMG-20111206-00152.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 16,682
  • IMG-20111206-00155.jpg
    IMG-20111206-00155.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 16,747
  • IMG-20111206-00156.jpg
    IMG-20111206-00156.jpg