Adding a aftermarket amp and sub on stock system??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding a aftermarket amp and sub on stock system???

jasnall

Reaction score
City, State
san diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountineer
I have a new JL 8" in the stock box and amp but it snot enough, i wanna put an afermarket amp to the sub but didnt know how, because the the connections going into the stock amp arent RCA,
So is it possible to wire up a aftermarket amp to the stock system wiht out running al the wire to the battery and all that junk like you nrmally would???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

only way i can think of that being possible is if you buy another car battery and wire your amp to that. but you need power! i just ran my power wire underneath the moulding on the driver side of the vehicle, then up the drivers door and there is a little gap that leads to the engine. works well for me.! you may want to look into an aftermarket head unit though...i wired mine up stock and it sounded pretty weak...got a new head unit...well lets just say my ears were ringing 3 hours after i stopped playin music.

yeah new head unit would be , nice just odnt have the money rihg tnow, thanks though i'll keep that setup in mind

Why can tyou get power form where the stock amp is?

You really don't want to pull power from the stock amp because it's on a fuse that's not big enough for two amps. It's best to run its own fused power line, its only like $10.
Not sure if I get you right, you want to connect a aftermarket amplifier to the new sub using the existing wiring from the stock amp?

You'll cause some major issues if you tap power off factory amp for a subwoofer amp.

Honestly, save up the $20, get a decent wiring kit and you'll be set. Running the wire from the front to the rear of an explorer takes 20 minutes tops for someone doing it their first time.

I've done it so many times that I can get a wire from the battery to the trunk nice and clean in 5 mins, Lol.

Trust me, do it properly or you'll cause yourself a headache and need to spend more money fixing it than initially doing it right. (I speak from experience trying to save a couple $$ on my own system)

Back