speaker replacement with stock amp/head unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

speaker replacement with stock amp/head unit

travmit

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I would like to start by saying this is my first time to do a thread so go easy on me. Constructive criticism is accepted.
Here is the question. I would like to get better sound out of my 2003 Explorer. From what I can tell it is a base model but it has a cassette deck and a CD player. I would like to know if I can get a better quality sound by just replace the door speakers. The reason I ask this is because I do not know what will work with the stock equipment. I saw on a website that in an F-150 they just replaced the door speakers with kicker speakers and that's all. I was wondering if something like this could be achieved with my explorer. I am more asking if the stock amp can handle the speaker set you guys and gals recommend to me. It has pretty nice sound but a little more bass would be nice, however, I do not want to tear my car apart to do a new sub or add a sub altogether. Any help would be awesome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changing out the door speakers is easy and will improve sound quality. If you are looking for a little more bass you would want the rear speakers as they are given a little more ohms (bass power) than the fronts. If you really want a better sounding stereo I would change out the head unit, 9 times out of 10 an aftermarket head unit sounds better than stock. Do you know if you have a sub already in the truck?(would be on passenger side in the far back) Or do you have the down graded system.

I swapped out my existing speakers with 4 x Pioneer TSG6844R's and the sound is remarkably better. I left the factory amp in and dropped in a K'wood KFCWV800F sub. My head unit is a K'wood DPX500BT.

And since two chefs have chimed in, you know this has got to be the facts!

The new Pioneer 6x8's are the TSG-6845R and you can get four for around 60 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSG68...&qid=1430961733&sr=1-4&keywords=pioneer+6+x+8

They are a very good upgrade to the stock system, and you can also use them if you ever get an aftermarket head unit.

You might also want to get factory speaker harness adapters so you can just plug one end into the factory wiring plug and the other onto the speakers, this way you don't have to cut any wires and can just plug the old speakers back in should you sell the vehicle or want to upgrade. They are a few bucks per pair and you only need two pairs for four speakers. You'll have to check to be sure you get the right plugs since Ford used different plugs for different years.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...r adapter&sprefix=ford+speaker+ad,electronics

given a little more ohms (bass power) than the fronts.

What..?
They're not given more ohms.. ohms has nothing to do with 'bass power.' Ohms is the impedance of the speaker. The rear tends to be slightly biased towards bass than the front due to the EQ settings in factory decks..

The new Pioneer 6x8's are the TSG-6845R and you can get four for around 60 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-TSG68...&qid=1430961733&sr=1-4&keywords=pioneer+6+x+8

They are a very good upgrade to the stock system, and you can also use them if you ever get an aftermarket head unit.

You might also want to get factory speaker harness adapters so you can just plug one end into the factory wiring plug and the other onto the speakers, this way you don't have to cut any wires and can just plug the old speakers back in should you sell the vehicle or want to upgrade. They are a few bucks per pair and you only need two pairs for four speakers. You'll have to check to be sure you get the right plugs since Ford used different plugs for different years.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...r adapter&sprefix=ford+speaker+ad,electronics

Anime said it perfectly.. The Pioneer's are your best bet. They'll work in the place of the stock speakers perfectly, accept the wattage and sound much better.

That was my first step in my system, speakers.. Then added a sub.. and proper amp for it.. then new head unit.. and now I'm $XXXX in and totally wondering if it was worth the cash.. Lol.

Off topic: I come off as rude lately apparently. Really mean responses. Lol.

What..?
They're not given more ohms.. ohms has nothing to do with 'bass power.' Ohms is the impedance of the speaker. The rear tends to be slightly biased towards bass than the front due to the EQ settings in factory decks..

When I measured the ohms from the front speakers it was reading 1ohms, and the rear where almost 2ohms. Could just be my head unit amp settings like you said. Sorry for the confusion.

How did you measure them? Ford uses a 4 ohm system, not including the sub.

Polk audio are good too. Work very well with factory radio. Also Kicker CS for a money saving alternative.

thank you all very much and I will try the pioneers. like I said I wanted to do as little wireing work and tearing out stock components as possible so thank you for that option and the wire harness adapter is a great idea I don't know that I would have though about that thank you very much. and just to be clear I can use stock everything with the pioneers right??? very new to the "system" world but I can run wires and solder like its my job lol I put two aux lights and an air horn in my explorer and ran wires my self.

Check out crutchfield.com They have many types of head units, speakers, and amps. You can find out what will fit in your particular vehicle on their website. They will also include instructions on how to replace your head unit as well as speakers. Good luck.

Pioneer replacement speakers

Hi everyone, found a bunch of info that is relevant at the following location on the forum. Seems the newer model, 5th generation Explorers have integrated speakers and door mount spacers that you have to redo to change out the OEM speakers. Here is a good reference thread... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3466829#post3466829

Back