2013 Explorer Sport Towing capabilities | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Sport Towing capabilities

13Xworldchamps

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020Explorer ST
I recently ordered a 13 Sport with the towing package. I'm coming from an 06 Limited V8 Explorer and this towed my 2 Sea Doo watercraft on a double trailer like a dream. Never knew the trailer was behind me.
Obviously, I hope the 13 Sport is up to the task. I'm not worried about the towing capacity, but rather how it controls, stops and the overall performance.

Does anyone have any input to the towing performance of the Sport or 2011 - 13 explorers? Maybe the differences noticed between a truck platform vs. the uni-body platform of the current generation.

Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 jet skis aren't real heavy, I'd tow that with a prius :D

2 jet skis aren't real heavy, I'd tow that with a prius :D

These skis are the newer 4 stroke sit down models. Fueled up and with trailer is over 2,500 pounds. Like I said, not worried about the towing capacity, just someones overall thoughts of the 13's vs the 06 - 10 generation V8 explorers.

Also can you turn off Overdrive on the 13 models with towing package?

Ed

I towed a 5x8 trailer loaded to the gills (think it was 1800lbs) and it doesn't even act like there's a trailer back there. No noticeable difference.

I towed a 5x8 trailer loaded to the gills (think it was 1800lbs) and it doesn't even act like there's a trailer back there. No noticeable difference.

Thanks!

Can you turn off overdrive on yours?

Ed

Thanks!

Can you turn off overdrive on yours?

Ed

It has a tow/haul button, which IIRC turns on the tranny cooler and allows longer RPM's...so essentially I would guess is like turning off OD?

Tow/haul is the modern O/D off, it's better.
2,500lbs isn't all that heavy, more than I thought but I still wouldn't worry about. Isn't the new explorer rated for 6,500 or 7,000? And considering it sits lower/more aerodynamic than your old explorer, it should be more stabile at speed.
Considering the sport has larger brakes, and seeing the 0-60 times I don't think it'll have any problems. Might pull better than your old x

Tow/haul is the modern O/D off, it's better.
2,500lbs isn't all that heavy, more than I thought but I still wouldn't worry about. Isn't the new explorer rated for 6,500 or 7,000? And considering it sits lower/more aerodynamic than your old explorer, it should be more stabile at speed.
Considering the sport has larger brakes, and seeing the 0-60 times I don't think it'll have any problems. Might pull better than your old x

Thanks for the reply!

Capacity for the 13 Sport is 5,000 pounds. The V8 2006 - 10s were 7,300.

The change in tow ratings is truck frame on the older models vs. a car platform on the newer models.

Ed

Huh, I coulda swore the new generations were rated for more. Maybe the transmission/drive train is not as robust, I doubt it has to do with being unibody. The Jeep is unibody and can tow 8,000 right?

Checked, 7,400 lbs.

You'll be fine towing the jetski's. I use my Explorer to tow a Mustang on a steel trailer, and outside of the acceleration off the line, it tows as well as my '05 SuperCrew did.

P6020019.jpg

You'll be fine, I towed a 5'X8' utility trailer with my 2011 Explorer Limited quite a bit with about 2200lbs on it and aside from the off the line acceleration and braking I never knew it was there. On top of that I was getting 17 MPG on the highway if I was kind on the accelerator. I've had my Sport for about a month now and haven't had a chance to tow with it yet but I'm expecting even better results!

I have a 18" Bassboat and the EX pulls it effortlessly. The trailer sway controls work great, feels more stable than my 06 Tundra did towing it!

Thanks for all the replies.

Sounds like I won't regret trading in the 2006 V8 then!

Ed

We tow a Polaris ARE WHICH IS 1100lbs on a 750lb snowmobile trailer. Sway control and towing switched on gives me the nicest towing experience I've ever had. We still manage a very respectable 20mpg on the highway which I attribute to the air being able to pass thru the Rzr' s roll cage up top not blocking any wind.

No problems on stopping. I pulled my 20' boat with my 13 with tow package this summer no issues. Dealer let me hook the boat up for the test drive but I think he was a little surprised slammed the pedal at 60 mph. I came from a Suburban so I felt it back there, but not once did I have a feeling that it couldn't handle it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Towing with the '13 Explorer Sport

Hi guys, great site here.

Is anyone here towing long distances with their Explorer Sport yet? We have about 3k miles on ours and I've towed our snowmobile trailer with it locally a few times with mixed feelings. The trailer weighs in between 4k-4.5k lbs when it's loaded. It handles the weight just fine and stops on a dime with my P3 controller. The thing I don't like about the Eco Boost is the amount of heat it puts out towing. This thing gets real hot just towing locally. As much as I love the comfort of it, I just don't feel too comfortable towing with it for 6+ hrs. My other vehicle is a F350 6.0, but I'd like to use the Explorer sometimes.

Thanks in advance

Back