Pugly | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

hmm what = I was wondering what happened to the rock crusher diff cover . Then it hit me I was all mixed up. It would sure be easier on me if you just had one truck-;)

I see said the blind man. LOL!

This plate welded cover puts the Cast Rock Crusher cover to shame. Might not be all purdy fancy detailed looking, but performance wise, I'm pretty sure it is the strongest part on the entire rig. ;)

Anybody want to make me a set of these for the front leaf mounts? These are a set of All Pro skids made for the rear FJ Arms I installed last year. They would work the same for our rigs.

2013-04-21184150_zpse8f91f7f.jpg

So....???

Is it normal for the knuckles to touch the beams at full lock?

I noticed some small rub marks and investigated to find the beams are my stops. Just checking! :)

On a first Gen?? Mine always has..

Heck, on my Van (dana 44 HD solid front) it has bolts that are threaded into the knuckle that hits the rest of the axle as its stops.

~Mark

On a first Gen?? Mine always has..

Heck, on my Van (dana 44 HD solid front) it has bolts that are threaded into the knuckle that hits the rest of the axle as its stops.

~Mark

Purrrrfect! :D

I just never noticed it before is all. LOL! Thanks! :thumbsup:

Pugly has been pulling to the drivers side when braking.

Can't find anything wrong when I tore it down and inspected everything, must be a bad caliper.

Always something with these old rigs.

I had that issue and just pulled the caliper piston out, cleaned it with super fine polishing sand paper, then put in a new boot and seal.

Worked like new until I did the knuckle out upgrade.

After 240,000 miles, Pugly is showing it's age a bit. Low pressure line developed a small hole, and lost it's refrigerant. :(

I can swap in a new line, but will have to take it in for a proper charge. This means $$ that just isn't in the budget. Looks like it's going to be a hot summer this year!! :banghead:

So I bought a used set of calipers that are supposed to be less than a year old, to replace the old calipers that are sticking.

I think that the rough climate and amount of road salt used takes it's toll pretty fast up in New England area. These are in worse shape than the stock 94 calipers. Seals are cracked/rotted/bad, and caliper is rusted like they sat in the ocean for a while. LOL!

Oh well, looks like I bought a set of calipers for a core charge on a new set.

badsealcaliper1_zps850bd96b.jpg

badsealcaliper2_zpsee2ecfba.jpg

After 240,000 miles, Pugly is showing it's age a bit. Low pressure line developed a small hole, and lost it's refrigerant. :(

I can swap in a new line, but will have to take it in for a proper charge. This means $$ that just isn't in the budget. Looks like it's going to be a hot summer this year!! :banghead:

Well if you could get it down here I would charge it for you for the cost of freon and a beer.:D

Well if you could get it down here I would charge it for you for the cost of freon and a beer.:D

Wouldn't that be nice. :) thanks for the offer!
If I had a vac pump, proper set of gauges, a freon digital scale, I would do it myself, but darn the luck, I just never had a want to spend that kinda cash on tools that only get used a couple times. Lol

I use them about 2 or 3 times a year, so its a good investment.

So I bought a used set of calipers that are supposed to be less than a year old, to replace the old calipers that are sticking.

I think that the rough climate and amount of road salt used takes it's toll pretty fast up in New England area. These are in worse shape than the stock 94 calipers. Seals are cracked/rotted/bad, and caliper is rusted like they sat in the ocean for a while. LOL!

Oh well, looks like I bought a set of calipers for a core charge on a new set.

badsealcaliper1_zps850bd96b.jpg

badsealcaliper2_zpsee2ecfba.jpg

So, a member here sold you that junk? What is his response?

So, a member here sold you that junk? What is his response?

I am up to my eyebrows with so many life problems at the moment that I have no room to fight or deal with any more negative issues.

I am chalking this up to a learning experience on my part, for not thinking this purchase through, before I acted. I will change my thinking on how & where I purchase items in the future. Luckily, this wasn't an expensive mistake.

The sellers idea of "Good", & my idea of "Good" are obviously different, that is all. With that said, I have decided not to even bring this up with the seller. I don't want the additional stress it will bring to me right now. ;)

Back