For the love of GOD, how do you disable the seat belt chime? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For the love of GOD, how do you disable the seat belt chime?

kdoggy

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4x4
It just won't STOP!!!

Hehe, anyway I admit I don't always wear my seat belt but that damn chime is making me want to! I'm sure that is it's purpose but hey! :D

If I'm must here in town (25 zone) doing something quick, I don't always want to throw it on.

How can I disable the chime? I know on my Mitsubishi Eclipse it was a simple matter of unplugging something but I would still like the other warning chimes to work.

Is there a harness to the seat buckle itself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my manual:

Deactivating/activating the BeltMinder feature
Read steps 1 - 9 thoroughly before proceeding with the deactivation/activation programming procedure.
The BeltMinder feature can be deactivated/activated by performing the following procedure:
Before following the procedure, make sure that:
  • ² the parking brake is set
  • ² the gearshift is in P (Park) (automatic transmission) or the neutral position (manual transmission).
  • ² the ignition switch is in the OFF position
  • ² all vehicle doors are closed
  • ² the driver’s safety belt is unbuckled
  • ² the parklamps/headlamps are in OFF position (If vehicle is equipped with Autolamps, the Autolamps feature MUST be turned off.)
To reduce the risk of injury, do not deactivate/activate the Belt Minder feature while driving the vehicle.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN (or ON) position. (DO NOT START THE ENGINE)
2. Wait until the safety belt warning light turns off. (Approximately 1–2 minutes)
  • ² Steps 3–5 must be completed within 60 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated.
3. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled. This can be done before or during BeltMinder warning activation.
4. Turn on the parklamps/headlamps, turn off the parklamps/headlamps.
5. Buckle then unbuckle the safety belt three times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled.
  • ² After step 5 the safety belt warning light will be turned on for three seconds.
6. Within seven seconds of the safety belt warning light turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt.
Seating and safety restraints
  • ² This will disable BeltMinder if it is currently enabled, or enable BeltMinder if it is currently disabled.
7. Confirmation of disabling BeltMinder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light four times per second for three seconds.
8. Confirmation of enabling BeltMinder is provided by flashing the safety belt warning light four times per second for three seconds, followed by three seconds with the safety belt warning light off, then followed by flashing the safety belt warning light four times per second for three seconds again.
9. After receiving confirmation, the deactivation/activation procedure is complete

wow im about to do this right now. it really annoy me, especially when its cold, below 20. When its really cold the bell goes off but sounds like there is a dying bird in there and it is ear piercing. If gotten used to it casue it turns off after a while but when people get in my truck there like what the hell is that noise...

I now i should just throw the seatbelt on but it really is annoying when its 10 degrees and im wearing 6-7 layers and im making a quick drive/stop and the seat belt barely makes it over my carhart hahah

You would think that going through all of those steps, it would be easyier to just buckle the darn belt. You would be sending a message that you care about safty. If you were in other states that have the law, you would just bite the bullet and buckle up.

If you were in other states that have the law, you would just bite the bullet and buckle up.

We do, it's a $60.00 dollar fine if your not buckled up.

However if I drive from my house to the corner to get milk which is like 1000 yards and a 25 zone, I'm not too worried about a high speed crash. What I am worried about it how annoying that damn buzzer sounds because I about wanted to put a .45acp threw it today! ;)

It not so much about "safety" as I'm annoyed with it. If I go anywhere out of my general neighborhood, I do buckle up. I'm not stupid and like that saying goes, "because the life you save could be your own!".... :cool:

Speaking of .45acp... Does anyone make any center console mounted in pistol safes FOR these SUV's? Guess that's for another topic!

it dosent matter the reasons, buckel up! We dont want to lose another dear friend on this site.
RIP John Rock

I'd just put on the seatbelt. I wear it no matter what speed I'm driving because without it, it doesn't feel right.

My cousin and two friends passed away because they didn't have their seatbelt on. My sister's truck got hit in the rear, knocked it onto it's side and she was fine because she was wearing her seatbelt. Without it, she would have been hurt pretty bad.

I've been in two major wrecks(I wasn't driving). The worst was a few years ago in Mexico. It was dark, just stopped raining and we where headed back to the dorms. I was in the center of the first passenger seat(Ford E350) and we had another van in front that we were following. Going around a corner at 60mph, an oncoming car was in the wrong lane and swerved to miss the first van, overcorrected and got sideways and BAM, we t-boned him.

If I didn't have my seatbelt on, without question I would have been through the windshield and possibly not here today. So just wear your seatbelt because you never know how another driver will act.

I agree! Buckle up all the time, every time. Thinking that because you are close to home and in a 25MPH zone that you don't need your seatbelt is, at the risk of sounding offensive, just plain ludicrous!!

My response to the poll "Do you wear your seatbelt?":

Every time, all the time. Even just moving the car out of the driveway. The seatbelt gets clicked before I shift into gear.

You do realize that two cars that collide going 25 mph in the opposite direction is like hitting a wall doing 50 mph? I have been a career firefighter for 28 years now and have never had to unbuckle the seat belt of a dead person. Think about!

kd- just in case you think everyone is piling on, we do tend to have a slight pile-on for safety issues, but it's doing to be amplified right now since we just lost one of our most dear members and moderators to an accident/vehicle ejection. It's a touchy subject right now...

like the billboards say all along I80/94, "click it or ticket"..can never be to safe now-a-days.

You do realize that two cars that collide going 25 mph in the opposite direction is like hitting a wall doing 50 mph? I have been a career firefighter for 28 years now and have never had to unbuckle the seat belt of a dead person. Think about!

While I agree 110% that you should always wear a seatbelt (I always do), I just had to correct this since it is a very common misconception. Two cars going 25mph that collide head on is NOT like hitting a wall doing 50 mph. The physics show that it is actually like hitting a wall at 25mph...for each party.
Mythbusters did an episode on this after Jamie had made a comment similar to yours on a previous episode. He admitted he was surprisingly wrong after doing tests with crashing Car A into a wall at speed X, Car B traveling into Car C (each traveling at speed X), and then crashing Car D into a wall at speed 2X.
Cars A, B, and C all sustained very similar damage while Car D sustained much worse damage (thus busting the myth).

PS: Thanks for your work as a firefighter, it is much appreciated! :salute:

While I agree 110% that you should always wear a seatbelt (I always do), I just had to correct this since it is a very common misconception. Two cars going 25mph that collide head on is NOT like hitting a wall doing 50 mph. The physics show that it is actually like hitting a wall at 25mph...for each party.
Mythbusters did an episode on this after Jamie had made a comment similar to yours on a previous episode. He admitted he was surprisingly wrong after doing tests with crashing Car A into a wall at speed X, Car B traveling into Car C (each traveling at speed X), and then crashing Car D into a wall at speed 2X.
Cars A, B, and C all sustained very similar damage while Car D sustained much worse damage (thus busting the myth).

PS: Thanks for your work as a firefighter, it is much appreciated! :salute:

I saw that episode and was surprised by the outcome but it makes sense

As for the seat belt chime, I wear my seat belt all the time.
But I hate that chime if I start to move and I don't have it on.
So I disabled mine. Its one of the first things I did to my 3rd gen.

that experiment is true for cars of the same type. What i think they didnt factor and calculate is the deformation as absorption of energy. As such, running a car at 25mph into a big loaded truck going 25mph going the oppsite direction will result in very different force and energy readings from those in the show - which is obvious since something like a brick wall will not deform very much and almost all of the energy will have to be absorbed by the car and anything else in it. This is one of the foundations in the safety of sedans vs SUVs. While its true that survivability in an SUV is greater than a sedan, there will always be a bigger fish in the pond with more mass and a stiffer chassis.

So yes while you may survive a crash against another sedan at 25mph with no seatbelt, you may not be so lucky if that sedan going the opposite direction isnt actually a sedan but rather a loaded F-350.

The physics of the whole thing is very interesting. But one question remains. Who wants to hit a brick wall at 25 MPH? 25 MPH seems very slow when you are driving but it's a completely different story when you are hitting a brick wall. Here is a video of the Seat Belt Convincer. It simulates a crash at 5-7 MPH. I had the opportunity to try one of these way back when I was in high school. 5-7 MPH isn't as gentle as you may think.

But one question remains. Who wants to hit a brick wall at 25 MPH?
i think that's easy enough to answer : not many people. Thats why its called a car "accident" - that is to say, its probably not intentional (or nobody "wanted" it to happen) regardless of seatbelt or no seatbelt.

i think that's easy enough to answer : not many people. Thats why its called a car "accident" - that is to say, its probably not intentional (or nobody "wanted" it to happen) regardless of seatbelt or no seatbelt.

Exactly. You don't when it's going to happen, how it's going to happen, or why it's going to happen. The moral of the story is always wear you seatbelt!!

think about it like this. your doing 25, the car coming at you is doing 25, and you hit head on. pretty much the same as hitting a stationary wall doing 50 and your going through the windshield.. just put the seat belt on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unfortunately i totateld my last truck doing about 7-8 mph and hit ice and sped up to 15mph i hit 2 trees and i didnt have my seatbelt on...im lucky to survive i had 2 other people in the car and the person sitting in the back seat in the middle ended up in the front seat, I was knocked unconscious for 10 min. just look at the truck.....had no collison either

this is what 10-15 mph and some trees do
IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

Back