Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
Had the airbag light flashing a code 4 4

I replaced the front right airbag sensor behind the front bumper and I'm still getting the same code.

Any suggestions? It's gotta pass a safety.

Si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The control module may be the point that is failing. I assume you disconnected the battery when you installed the sensor? My other suggestion would be to make sure all wires are secure and if so, start looking for a new control module.

Which of your listed vehicles are we discussing? The codes mean different things.

1997 44 RH Air Bag Sensor Not Mounted to the Vehicle Properly or Ground Circuit Open

1999 44 Driver Side Crash Sensor Communication Fault (Id think this was assuming left hand drive)

well check/change the RH side one like we discussed earlier. pretty sure it is the one causing the problem here

I've changed the front passenger side sensor and the driver's side side impact sensor.

still got the 44

Si

are ya making sure they level with the vehicle ? have seen some stuff about if you so much as bump off level that will trigger a code :dunno:

I've bolted them back up, and got the marker pins lined up... not sure what else to do...

I've just taken the steering wheel airbag off now, gonna see if resetting the clock spring helps...

Si

Why was this moved to the modified section? it's a totally standard 2000 EB... no mods

I've removed/replaced D/S airbag, D/S side impact sensor and the P/S front airbag sensor... still flashing....

Si

I know its obvious but did you check to make sure the pins in the connector are not green, also I would pull back some of the convoluted wire tubing and check to make sure the wires are good for at least the first 6 inches. After that you need to ohm out the wires from the sensor to the module, at module pins 8 & 9 (with release tab up it is the two bottm right pins, should be less than .5 ohms, also check them for a short to ground or battery voltage. Also the code is for the side crash sensor mounted to the B pillar in the truck not the ones one the core support. You could probably swap them from side to side to see if the concern follows the sensor. If wires test good and it doesn't follow the sensor then it would have to be the Restraint Control Module.

Also the code is for the side crash sensor mounted to the B pillar in the truck not the ones one the core support.

YES, Correct.

I've read some threads that there may be issues in the seat/seatbelt wires. One user just had to wiggle them. Another user had it happen to her but not her husband, turned out they have the seat adjusted differently which triggers the light for her but not him. Wires were kinking.

My two cents. Good luck.
MNBen

the seatbelt wires were snapped, so I rewired them

but the light was flashing 4 4 before that and after that too

Si

Back