Tom's '97 XLT registry | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tom's '97 XLT registry

Here's my registry. It's not going to really serve as much of a build log or anything, just to help keep track of the (minor) things I do to it along the way.
(Edit: yeah, that all turned out to not be true...... Keep reading to see what I mean)

This is my 1997 XLT. I bought it on 10/13/2010 with 117,500 miles for $2000. It has the SOHC V6, 3.55 rear end and the "Controltrac 4 wheel drive".

This is basically as it was when I brought it home:

Interior shots:pG[/IMG]
(lost photos)

Features:
side-step boards
6,000 lb receiver
Ford mudflaps (removed)
hood wind/bug deflector

This Explorer wasn't abused- just a little neglected. The interior is in good shape. The paint isn't in horrible shape- some dings and scratches here and there. All-in-all, good shape for a 13 year old vehicle.

Issues:
cracked and pitted windshield (fixed via post 61)
inoperable 3rd brake light (fixed via post 68)
inoperable fog lights (DS housing is smashed on backside and button on dash does not illuminate) (removed)
poor heater output (fixed via post 3)
coolant temp gauge not moving much (fixed via post 3)
pulsing front brakes (fixed via post 2)
slightly sagging rear end (fixed via post 7)
weak hood lift struts (fixed via post 5)
weak glass lift struts
weak tailgate lift struts
broken driver's seat recline handle (fixed via post 8)
leaking rear transfer case output seal (fixed via post 23)
worn shocks (fixed via post 7)
alignment out-of-whack (fixed via post 12)
lack of engine power (fixed via post 3)

So basically from here on out, this registry will be dedicated to how I have breathed some life back into this thing and some adventures along the way. I've already addressed some of the issues mentioned above. I'll try to post as many pictures as I can, but I know I've already failed on some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Eh, while they aren't the best, they aren't that bad either. Me getting stuck above didn't have much to do with the tires. I tried to go over that rock that my right tire is next to in the picture that I'm stuck, but because it's on the right side and with the ride height, it's tough to accurately place the right side tire without a spotter. As I went beside it, I rode up on the steep "bank" of the trail and my right rear tire slipped off a different rock. This put the lowest point of the diff (and super happy I went with the upgraded covers!) right in a groove in that rock that prevented me from going forward or backwards. I had enough traction to dig, better tires would have dug as well. That diff had me hung up completely.

Otherwise the traction on the trails in this part of the country has been fine with these tires. Plus I can air them down, do one trail and drive on the highway to the next trail without airing them up again.

When I go to 35s, I'll shop around. I've been thinking about some Goodyear M/T-Rs. But before I do that, the Dana30 needs chrome alloy axles.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

C751E534-5898-4557-9878-F59195EE16CA.jpg

Still need to finish up the wiring.

I did a remote location of the solenoid due to clearance of the winch to the radiator support. Even had the winch fit with the solenoid on top, getting to it where it would haven would be horrible.
BCDFA383-7118-419C-8BE3-8A79DD36FE51.jpg

And then the plug now sits right here:
CAB295F2-27D3-48A8-9589-A16BEE1C1F12.jpg

Hardly know it's there:
6D00346C-57AB-4C99-8D5A-6A9DB0ED7C64.jpg

Nice and you went with the Hawse instead of roller. Where's the hole for the free spool and engaged lever, just reach inside the grill?

Yep, just to the right of the plug is an access hole for the engagement lever.

And Hawse over roller because if I hit the Hawse on a rock, it won't eff it all up.

Yep. Last Monday.

We found out that the frame on my '97 is just a little narrower and slightly less deep than Josh's '98 and your ST. That's why I had to remote locate the solenoid.

This is a project that I've been meaning to get to for awhile:
4ED8E3C2-B893-4346-8FDF-76DC599B0E9D.jpg

Midway though the pressure washing:
7A79AD39-7A44-493B-A2BD-1C762A628101.jpg

If only Joe Dirt could see me now! I think he'd be proud- yet disappointed it took me so long.

Nice but how are you planning on drying that out completely? I'm glad I have the rubber floors in my Sport Trac.

Before putting them carpet back in, I decided to put some black RTV on the different rubber plugs in the floor pan of the body:
2D79D1D5-48F4-4256-AA12-95B7053D5D7B.jpg

D3D40006-3411-4895-9864-669F7D3FC084.jpg

I saw some evidence of a couple of them leaking. I have been known to get into some deep water, so might as well since the carpet is out.

The carpet looks a lot better. Still isn't great, but it is 18 years old.

Just dye the carpet dark grey or black and you won't be able to tell. If you're sealing up the floor drain plugs you might want t do that to all the grommet on the lower firewall and around the rest of the cab where the water might make it's way in during a river crossing.

I figured out my mounting for my MaxTrax:
D8313789-55DC-4135-8C07-76B67FFA42E0.jpg

I added some d-rings to the swing out and used ratchet straps to hold it in place. My Trasharoo should then go over the MaxTrax. I will need to remove the Trasharoo to get the MaxTrax and put them back, but everything goes on easily.

30CA284C-DCAD-4228-AC50-742224881E0C.jpg

Why not mount the max trax to the roof rack either on or make some stronger crossbars and use some wing nut s with j hooks or spring loaded j hooks and hook them through the handle holes. Less likely to get snagged on branches or brush up there and a lot more secure. Less wind drag too when on the road.

Partly because the roof is super tall. And mostly because I haven't figured out my roof rack situation yet. The factory cross rails will not be staying. What is going to go in their place is yet to be determined. Once I get that figured out, the MaxTrax will probably get mounted up there.

I'd also like a roof solution to mount the hi-lift, a shovel (all I have now is a small folding shovel) and possibly an axe. Plus additional storage. And aux lighting to sides and rear.

A roof rack sure does simplify mounting aux lights, that's all mine holds 90% of the time lol.
How do you like the maxtrax? I'm thinking the Smittybilt ones are going to be my next purchase.

Partly because the roof is super tall. And mostly because I haven't figured out my roof rack situation yet. The factory cross rails will not be staying. What is going to go in their place is yet to be determined.

could just do what i did, get some carriage bolts run them in the track upside down. then just drilled through the brace on my rack and put on a nut.

I've only had the MaxTrax for one trip and I did use them. And for that, they worked great. Probably could have got by without them but using them made it easy.

Back