Thoughts on the (2011-14) Ford Edge Sport ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts on the (2011-14) Ford Edge Sport ?

sumzxr7

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT - Magnetic
I know this may not be the place to post...but I was curious if anyone here has even traded up OR down for a Ford Edge Sport?

I am considering trading in my Explorer (countless issues with water leaks from hinge area, roof rack and new pano roof) to address flaws from the factory along with many other issues...

Its only my wife and I and we have no kids at the moment so I know what I would be giving up space wise...just think the Edge would be a great CUV for us but I wanted to get other real world views of it ?

I've been so put off by the leaks that I even got the dealer to find one WITHOUT the massive vista roof. It also has no roof racks (so i've eliminated two sources of potential leaks ;-)..just curious of your thoughts..

I also want to stay away from the 2015 Edge considering its all new and I tend to stay away from 1st year production runs.

I wouldnt mind the new 2016 EX but it has no incentives at this time and if did order one it will be without the roof as well...the whole water leak experience really left a sour taste in my mouth...besides I have an older Mustang vert - that I drive in the summer anyways so its an option I know I can live without ;-)

thanks in advance

I just traded a 2012 Edge Sport four a 2015 Ex Sport. Overall, I really liked it but our family was starting to outgrow it. We had a couple of hiccups with it but nothing that really left a bad taste in my mouth. It had a brake issue that turned out to be covered for an extended mileage. There was an issue in the brake booster where a batch had diaphragms that were tearing. As it got worse, the pedal feel got stiffer and the brakes were pretty much all or nothing. It started out as audible whining. It had a small power steering fluid leak somewhere near the passenger side. I missed this one for awhile because I assumed the few drops of fluid I was finding were from doing my own oil changes in the garage. I had to add about 1/4 quart of fluid to it once over 45K miles. The last issue was shortly before we traded it. The rear camera started going in and out and giving an error message on the nav. After doing some research, it was probably the camera going bad and the cost to fix it was around $500 to $800. From what others reported a lot of this cost was to remove a trim piece on the hatch and doing so causes the tabs on it to break. I'm sure there is a way around this but I never dug into it any deeper because we traded. I found the camera online for around $100 and would have replaced it myself if we kept it.

The 3.7 did a great job motivating that vehicle and it had a pretty sporty feel. My biggest regret was having FWD instead of AWD. That motor would overwhelm the front tires pretty easily. The biggest plus and minus of the vehicle were the wheels. The 22's look great on it and got a lot of comments and questions. The downside was that they were heavy and definitely robbed a lot of the vehicles performance. I also was not a fan of the P-zero Scorpion tires, especially after have to spend $300 to replace on with a screw in the sidewall. Having Z rated tires seemed like overkill.

It didn't do great in slick conditions but considering it being FWD only and the wheel and tire combo, it could have been worse. Under full throttle, there was some torque steer but it was very manageable. Not like some vehicles I've been in where it feels like it's trying to pull you into the ditch or oncoming traffic. My wife usually got about 18 mpg combined driving and I was usually around 19.5 to 20. On long trips it would average close to 24.

thanks - great insight...guess you traded up and I am looking to trade down..we'll see what I end up doing.

I test drove a 2013 Edge Sport - and it was nice but noticed dash creaking and some creaking sounds from the drivers seat. I found the interior pieces in the Explorer a lot better. Not a deal breaker for me per say but I would expect similar quality at the Sport price point.

Back