Explorer dies when coming to a stop. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer dies when coming to a stop.

lpatno

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Campbell, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Eddie
When i am driving my ford Explorer Eddie baur edition when i put on my brake completely to stop at a stop sign it completely dies and then i have to put it in park and restart the car it stays running as along as i am driving it and then when it is in park i would like to know what could possible be causing this and if its an do it your self fix

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome and that sux bout ur x dying when at a complete start

FIRST GUESS

is your brake booster vacuum line connected?

I disconnected mine to clean the engine and it ran rough and almost died when it was disconnected unless I clogged it

My 92 did that, and it would die if I took a corner fast. Fuel pump was going bad.

What if you shift to neutral as you're coming to a stop? Does it still stall? I'm wondering if it could be a trans issue (failure to unlock the torque converter).

Any other symptoms? Rough idle? Rough idle during a COLD start (ie: overnight)? Any hesitation/stumbling under load? Any odd sounds/noises?

I'd have to guess it's the idle air control valve. Does it stall all the time with your foot off the gas after it warms up?

Can some one please help me

Any other symptoms? Rough idle? Rough idle during a COLD start (ie: overnight)? Any hesitation/stumbling under load? Any odd sounds/noises?

hi i saw this post and i have most of these problems but only the first start of the day do you know anything i can do to stop this from happening.

hi i saw this post and i have most of these problems but only the first start of the day do you know anything i can do to stop this from happening.

Rough idle (to the point of stalling if I didn't give it gas) on a cold start (overnight) meant new upper & lower intake manifold gaskets in my case. Common apparently.

thanks a lot man i really appreciate it.

welcome...my guesss would be a vacuum line, when the seafoam procedure is done you disconnect the pcv valve and run the seafom through if you leave the hose off it eventually dies try the seafoam i noticed better response when i did it.like the others asked does it ride rough or normal with gas peddal pressed or just when you stop..it could be a clogged hose it cant hurt to run the seafoam as long as you follow the directions...goodluck

Idle adjustment procedure

I agree that the most likely source of your trouble is the IAC valve. If cleaning it solves your problem then I suggest that you perform the Idle adjustment procedure . If you do, the next time that your IAC valve quits working your engine won't die.

the only time it ever did it was coming to a complete stop as i put my foot on the brake but now when you put it in drive or 2nd or 1st it will die but it will stay running in park or netrual

Well the IAC valve would probably be the first thing I'd check by cleaning it out... super easy to get to (it's literally RIGHT THERE on top)... and relatively inexpensive to replace if you determine it needs it.

I'm having vibrations, like... a stalling kinda feeling when at a complete stop... and sometimes when on the gas at speed il feel it a little bit.. I've cleaned my relatively brand new IAC and no change... would this still be the issue? Not to mention weeks ago my idle stuck at 2-3K and I had to pull over... I've had that issue in the past... changed the IAC and I was good to go... Is this one going bad now too or.. idk... the way everything works on mine.. a lot of oil gets sucked through there.. can that mess up the IAC?

Good call!

What if you shift to neutral as you're coming to a stop? Does it still stall? I'm wondering if it could be a trans issue (failure to unlock the torque converter).

Do your brake lights work? The PCM monitors the brake pedal stop switch to differentiate between coasting and braking. If the vehicle speed (or maybe its the engine speed) drops to a set value with the brake applied the PCM unlocks the torque converter.

I tried the neutral thing with mine, it's lessened but it's still there... =\

Do your brake lights work? The PCM monitors the brake pedal stop switch to differentiate between coasting and braking. If the vehicle speed (or maybe its the engine speed) drops to a set value with the brake applied the PCM unlocks the torque converter.

It unlocks the TC if the throttle position drops to the closed voltage (RATCH) too. It doesn't rely solely on the brake on input to unlock it (In other words it does it for both).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could it at all be a timing issue and i will have my husband take a look at the IAC and clean it

Back