• Register Today It's free!

2004 4x4 Control Module Location?

Johnny Glenn

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
02-04 Explorers
Thanks for looking in - I have an 04 Ex and I thought the 4x4 control module would be in the same place as the 02/03 models but I don't see it behind the glove box? Am I missing something - has someone already taken it out? I don't see any loose wiring etc. Should I just trace wire from dash panel 4x4 buttons to it - wire seems to head toward driver side? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for looking in - I have an 04 Ex and I thought the 4x4 control module would be in the same place as the 02/03 models but I don't see it behind the glove box? Am I missing something - has someone already taken it out? I don't see any loose wiring etc. Should I just trace wire from dash panel 4x4 buttons to it - wire seems to head toward driver side? Thanks

On the '04, the 4x4 CM is part of the PCM & can't be serviced separately.

From my Haynes Manual:

4x4CMLocationCustom.jpg

Not sure you want to hear this but :

SECTION 308-07: Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Systems 2004 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Procedure revision date: 10/28/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Control Module
The four wheel drive (4WD) control module is integral to the power train control module (PCM) and is not serviced separately. For additional information, refer to Section 303-04A for 4.0L engine or Section 303-04B for 4.6L engine.

Ahhhh, the BigRondo beat me to it!

Thanks for the help - The Control Module is often times the problem for an inop 4x4 on 02/03 models - was the change in 04 an attempt to fix that problem? If so, are they now more reliable w/out the seperate module? Thanks again

Thanks for the help - The Control Module is often times the problem for an inop 4x4 on 02/03 models - was the change in 04 an attempt to fix that problem? If so, are they now more reliable w/out the seperate module? Thanks again

You're welcome! Can't really say about reliability of the '03-'04's. They went back to a separate module in '06-'07. Don't know if the later years also have a separate module. :dunno:

hi is the 2001 behind the glove box have no power no lights etc. any ideas

The 4x4 control module, monkeyboy?

Your post is somewhat confusing as to what vehicle you have. You posted in the "Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers" forum, there is a Sport Trac section.
Your profile says "2001 sport trax" is that a 2001 Sport Trac?

The correct answer to your question depends on correctly identifying your vehicle.

Need help with my 2005 expolorer

Hi Everyone,
I read this thread and need your help. My 05 XLT 4.0 only drives in 2wd. The 4x4 high light on the dash blinks. I took it to the dealership and they said the PCM needed to be changed for $1,800. I found a programmed one online and did it myself for $220. The 4x4 is still not working (Only 2wd). People tell me it is the 4x4 shift motor on the transfer case....any thoughts??

Hi Everyone,
I read this thread and need your help. My 05 XLT 4.0 only drives in 2wd. The 4x4 high light on the dash blinks. I took it to the dealership and they said the PCM needed to be changed for $1,800. I found a programmed one online and did it myself for $220. The 4x4 is still not working (Only 2wd). People tell me it is the 4x4 shift motor on the transfer case....any thoughts??

You might want to check the ground wire on the transfer case. It has come up a few times in here on the Gen 3 Explorers. The ground wire is the black wire coming off the connector on the shift motor. Inspect the wire and make sure it is secured well to the frame. Hope this helps. :)

rrgone - You are the man!!

rrgone - Thank you so much!!!! You nailed it! It was the ground wire!!! Basically, the dealership wanted $1,800 to fix the PCM when it was just a $2 piece! The sad part is I already replaced the PCM myself and along with this dealerships diagnostics fee I am into it for almost $500. I am going to ask the dealership to remedy this by putting on new tires (I already purchased outside of them on) for free and there are a bunch of parts I need that I want at cost!!! I hope they go for it. They tried to rip me off!! Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Not sure you want to hear this but :

SECTION 308-07: Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Systems 2004 Explorer/Mountaineer Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION Procedure revision date: 10/28/2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four Wheel Drive (4WD) Control Module
The four wheel drive (4WD) control module is integral to the power train control module (PCM) and is not serviced separately. For additional information, refer to Section 303-04A for 4.0L engine or Section 303-04B for 4.6L engine.

Ahhhh, the BigRondo beat me to it!

Believe me, don't mess with Rondo. He's back East, knows what cooks. imp

I have a 2004 explorer and I have a similar issue. I bought the truck with the 4x4 high light flashing.... so I did some research and found that the ground wire on the t case was not connected... so I did that, and when I turned the truck on the 4x4 light was solid.... I backed it up and parked it, as I did this the light turned off and no longer blinks... when it blinked I only had 2 wheel drive, since connecting the ground wire it went in to 4 wheel high, but the light is not on the dash as it should be, and when I press the buttons it will not switch to low or high or auto... would it be the shift motor or the tccm/pcm? Looking for advice on what to do next.... right now I get 2 wheel if I disconnect the wire and 4 wheel with it connected. Thanks for any help

I have a 2004 explorer and I have a similar issue. I bought the truck with the 4x4 high light flashing.... so I did some research and found that the ground wire on the t case was not connected... so I did that, and when I turned the truck on the 4x4 light was solid.... I backed it up and parked it, as I did this the light turned off and no longer blinks... when it blinked I only had 2 wheel drive, since connecting the ground wire it went in to 4 wheel high, but the light is not on the dash as it should be, and when I press the buttons it will not switch to low or high or auto... would it be the shift motor or the tccm/pcm? Looking for advice on what to do next.... right now I get 2 wheel if I disconnect the wire and 4 wheel with it connected. Thanks for any help
@Elliot williams
First, 2004 has no separate 4X4 Module; the function is incorporated in the PCM. Second, the T.C. shift motor operates ONLY to place the TC in 4X4 LOW, and removes it from 4X4 LOW. The other 4X4 functions, AUTO and HIGH use an electronic clutch to engage the TC to the front wheels, automatically during normal driving in AUTO, if wheel slippage is detected, and the clutch is constantly engaged when 4X4 HIGH is manually selected.

If you depress the 4X4 AUTO button momentarily with engine running, the clutch should not be engaged. If it is, as suggested by your removal of the TC wire as resulting in 2WD, I am suspecting the 4X4 HIGH switch is defective, as a possibility. It is a momentary contact switch, which provides only a short-time signal to the PCM, which then turns ON the clutch. If the switch were stuck CLOSED, the PCM would be getting that signal constantly, with results I cannot predict, except that 4X4 HIGH might likely remain engaged. imp

Back