Offroad Tires? Max tire Size? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Offroad Tires? Max tire Size?

jakefeb3

Reaction score
Anyone know what how much room / clearance there is for tires? I know it isn't going to be able to fit huge tires or anything. I'm just interested to know what a good number would be for the maximum tire clearance. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would like to see an answer to this from well. Maybe someone who knows something about Vehicles. Unlike myself lol

Based on my calculations, the Limited comes with:
255/50R20 tires = 30" x 10" Tires.

I am guessing you could fit at least a 31 x 10.5 tire. Thats just an assumption though. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks

I'm wondering if you could fit 31.8" x 10.7". I see a nice set of tires this size that I might be interested in

Doubt it, you'd probably rub very badly if you'd even be able to fit those. 31" would probably max it out, the 30"s on the 2011 Limited look pretty well stuffed in there as is.
Most tire shops will let you try to fit stuff though - just ask around.

I guess that'd work, but if you want something like the BFG AT's I'd recommend just getting some General AT2s (these are closer to stock size, but you can up-size if you like). But after looking around a bit more I found that you can get GY Duratracs that cost less than the BFGs, have a better tread design (except maybe not for sand) and a just a bit smaller than the BFGs too.

Good stuff, good stuff. Im checking out your findings. Yea I'm definitely considering price. Im probably going to be taking the truck in to get an opinion on what I could fit. I wonder if anyone else has been looking into this. I'm looking for something between 30"-32". I'm pretty sure I could fit 31", but I still dont know if you could fit more than that.
Where are you looking? What website(s) are you looking at?

if BFG all terrains are what you want there is no match , i have them after having a bunch of other brands and there is no comparison , except the BFG cost a bit more/

the BFG say on the side Baja Champion, and they are, i would say best A/T's you can buy,,

I just use tirerack all the time. I'll hop over to Interco Tire's website sometimes, but I usually do my research on tirerack.
Also, if you find a few tires you like, chuck their names into goggle and a comparison of those various tires will probably show up on some offroad forum.

on the tire rack site they can give you shipping quotes,,

I'm sorry but your 2nd link keeps going back to the BFGs. Firestone's usually pretty good. Lots of people rave about the MTs, I'd love a set. AT's are ok, but I don't think they have the best tread pattern.
I think tirerack used to quote me around $90 extra for shipping, depending on conditions etc.

sorry for the confusion, that link was for BFGs again. I found a set that costed less than the original link set. Funny enough, the bigger 2nd set costs less than the smaller sized set. I'm trying to aim for $1200 or less. Wheels and tires included. Possibly the tire pressure sensors too. I built a set based on those BFGs and 17" wheels. Its costing $1,168 without the sensors, $1,344 with sensors. Shipping not included. hmmm. I wish I could get it a little bit cheaper. I am already choosing the cheapest wheels ($89)

try onlinetires.com , hard too beat on prices, any brand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I was wondering still, what tire size could fit on this truck. I tried to find the most flat image I could find, and I applied the extra inches to the tires (ignore the rims, they are changing size too). I did the changes mathematically, but you know, its just an incredibly rough example. hmmm. Im not really sure what will fit. Let me know if anyone finds anything out

wheel30.jpg

wheel32.jpg

wheel33.jpg

Back