Options for removing a tailgate dent | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Options for removing a tailgate dent

I'm wondering if there's any "home remedy" hope for this dent I have in my tailgate. So far I've tried one of those oversized suction cups (hey, it was cheap enough...figured I'd try it at least) and have taken the interior panel off and tried to bang it out from the inside. It seems that that sheet metal is tougher than I thought.

Ideally, I'd like to get the dent out on as small of a budget as possible, and without having to buy any "crazy" tools that I'd just use this once. If it's something that may have to be pulled out with more heavy duty equipment than what's in an average joe's toolbox, so be it, but I'm just seeing if this might be easily smoothed out. I have no problem taking care of the painting...heck, in this particular picture, I actually just got finished painting the hatch panel.

What say you, oh wise gurus of body work? Thanks! :)

IMG_20141123_193157012.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah,,,,, sorry to break it to you there is no quick and easy on this one.

There is a ton of metal stretch in there. That is easily a eight to ten hour ( to repair ) dent.

I can walk you through if you want.

Thanks...if that's what it is, then so be it. I'd be interested to see what info you can provide, but in all honesty if its going to be that big of a job I'll probably just let a pro handle it ultimately. I can kid myself by saying I'm not looking for an absolute perfect straightening, but knowing my picky self, its gonna bug me to no end if I go after it and it doesn't come out right. LOL.

If you're willing to send me some pointers, I would certainly be most appreciative. But please don't go out of your way to do so if it's really going to be as involved as it seems it may be.

Thanks again!

Heck yeah man, stone's throw away. :) Whereabouts in Gambrills?

The link you posted doesn't pose any intimidation at all. In fact, I've read through that thread and just figured it applies to smaller dents/dings like what's shown there. If that procedure can apply to my dent, then I could give it a whirl. I'll just need the time and patience I guess to do so. The last time I tried, I just took a hammer and tried wailing on it (to the best of space availability) and had no luck with that "brunt force" method. Looks like it's just a matter of having the right tools to do the job, as with anything.

If my efforts fail, I'll hit you up...shoot me your info and I'll *definitely* keep you in mind. The images from that thread instill even more confidence in your work...it really looks great there, and that's far more than I look for regarding what I'm doing. I'm really just looking to get the metal straightened out...I have no problem rattle-canning the color and clear on...this Expy is "just" a secondary beater/utilitarian vehicle for me.

Yeah, you are gonna need a few real solid hits on the back side of the dent. It has to move a pretty decent distance.

If you get get right there on the back side of the deepest part that would be a good starting point.

Cool, thanks. Should I still use just a blunt-point punch, or maybe something that could cover a slight bit more surface area?

And still work it out a little at a time?

Cool, thanks. Should I still use just a blunt-point punch, or maybe something that could cover a slight bit more surface area?

And still work it out a little at a time?

A big dent like that with all that stretch you are never gonna get the metal real flat.
Maybe a cut off 2X4 and a BFH on the back side of the dent.

Find a straightedge you can bend to get a visual on your progress.

Gotcha. I'll give that a whirl. Getting behind that dent isn't the most accessible place for a hammer alone...I'll definitely try a 2x4 or something similar.

Thanks again.

Cheapest way put a bumper sticker over it.:D.

Since tailgates are a bolt on part the easiest thing might be to just replace it.I checked on Car-part.com and there are some in your area for about $125.You just have to find one the same color.You might be able to find one cheaper through the forums or local classifieds.A couple of winters ago a woman rear ended my 97 Explorer winter beater and put a big dent in the tailgate.I didn't want to go through insurance as I figured they would total it off so I just found a good used one and bolted it on.

Back