Joe Dirt's 2000 Ex-El-Tee "Deuce" | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Welcome to the registry for Wedgie 2.0, who has been affectionately named "Deuce"

From Shad's info to save keystrokes:

Here is the run down:

2000 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0L - AWD
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Gray Leather
Yada, yada, yada...

Highlights:

• Transmission rebuilt at 160,000 miles, and filled with synthetic
  • Lifted 2" in front with torsion keys
  • Lifted 3" in back with Add-a-Leaf and Warrior Shackles
  • New Superlift shocks at 166,000 miles
  • 31" x 10.5" tires
  • As much rust as some southern trucks- she's clean...

Interesting fact- it was an XLT fitted with air-ride shocks from the factory. System was disabled with the kit and shocks were put on to avoid costly repair.

Next to Wedgie:

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Today 1/28/11 was the first car wash.

IMG_1671.jpg

And yes, it needs to be cleaned... :D

IMG_1707.jpg

Um... This is going to be my biggest challenge to date.

IMG_1670.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1696.jpg

But it's going to be fine. It's an incredible place to start- the steering wheel isn't even gummy or rolled. I'm very pleased with the canvas... :thumbsup:

Anyway, after the car wash, I snapped some pics for starting point reference.
So, here are our obligatory before pictures...

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

Door seams always oiled

IMG_1688.jpg

Hatch looks brand new as well!

IMG_1698.jpg

Nothing on the rocker seams ...but a paint chip :D

IMG_1687.jpg

Rockers nice. No rust even at the back- just grime and ice. I think the mudflaps really helped...

IMG_1685.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll be happy to send you (8) brand new Bosch 4205 Platinum +2'a for FREE...

One has some ketchup on it, but it'll probably help it fire better anyway. :D

Wait till May when my dumpster gets delivered... I'll have a good home for them lol.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I hate the fact that they're even in the same room with me... That can't be healthy... :D

I stopped at the car wash on the way home...

IMG_1952-1.jpg

Those boschtards are a monkey on your back mate.

You're right Lynchy- so here we go... ;)

PS- I forgot to mention the '01 Sport gauges I dropped in... :)

I also did some wrenching though... Had to replace the old Bosch plugs. These look nice- look at the starburst of energy!!!

BoschChrist.jpg

...gee Wally, those spark plugs must be the tops!

Sorry Beav, not even close.
sarcastic.png

Let's do some reading...

According to Matt Hallis, Product Technical Support Manager with Robert Bosch Corporation (a leading manufacturer of spark plugs) “The material and design of the center electrode plays a key role in determining the spark plug's heat range,” explains Hallis. “For example, the heavy-duty copper core electrode in Bosch Super plugs is designed to quickly reach its self-cleaning temperature so as to prevent fouling in slow-moving city traffic. Heat dissipation is also accelerated during highway driving.” In premium spark plugs, such as the Bosch Platinum series, these advantages are further enhanced.

The Platinum spark plugs feature a pure platinum center electrode that reaches its self-cleaning temperature in only seconds after start-up, and the heat-fused platinum center electrode also offers a much wider heat range than non-platinum plugs.

Bosch Platinum spark plugs are also available with multiple ground electrodes. They feature a “surface air-gap” design that extends the life of a tune-up. The preset gap does not require any re-gapping for the life of the plug. The Platinum2 spark plug has two ground electrodes, and the Platinum +4 features four ground electrodes, for maximum durability and performance.

According to Bosch, the use of Platinum +4 plugs can result in as much as four to five percent increase in fuel economy, plus an increase in performance and reduction in exhaust emissions. “Better accessibility to the air/fuel mixture and the resulting improvement in combustion efficiency with the surface air-gap design are the reasons behind these significant improvements,” explains Hallis.

Yeah. Ok.
emot-words.gif

Here is what came out of Deuce.

IMG_2076.jpg

Let's have a closer look, shall we?

Here is the selling point of the Bosch Jesus plugs. That optimum cleaning temperature. I can hear the angels singing already.

BoschChrist2.jpg

Yeah, well let's look at the 10,080 mile old Bosch plugs, mated to my strong firing ignition which almost always used, and uses still, top tier gas. :rolleyes:

Honestly- the 230,000+ mile stock plugs that were in Snowball looked at least as good as some of these plugs.

We'll go in order from Cylinder 1 to Cylinder 8. Again- 10,000 miles on these pieces of s**t!

IMG_2067.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2042.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

Hey- now it gets yummy!

IMG_2000.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

Now, I'm just a wrencher, but honestly- I liked this line:

...and the heat-fused platinum center electrode also offers a much wider heat range than non-platinum plugs.
Yeah Matt, that's when they stay in the f*****g plug. They were just about gone in 6 and 7, and cylinder 8? What the hell was even firing? Was it a lightning bolt from heaven?

or maybe this one:

...the use of Platinum +4 plugs can result in as much as four to five percent increase in fuel economy, plus an increase in performance and reduction in exhaust emissions.
Translated, that means you'll experience that awesome fuel economy, as long as you don't have to accelerate, since if you're accelerating, you will experience missing, searching, and misfiring. The increase in performance is not quite accurate. Some people will, but you, on the other hand will experience a bad miss when you try to accelerate on the highway. That's after a fluttery miss between 20-30 mph. The reduction in exhaust emissions is kind of subjective, because basically what will happen is, since you're running Bosch plugs, your plugs won't fire for s**t. You'll toss codes. Lots of codes. DPFE codes. EGR codes. O2 codes. Then your fuel will go nuts, and well, yeah.

Out with the old, and in with the new. Honestly- stop putting these s**t plugs in your trucks! AAAAHHHHHH!!!!! Bad on the left, good on the Right. Bosch Jesus plugs on the left, Motorcraft your-s**t-just-runs-like-it-should on the right.

IMG_1969.jpg

Motorcraft in. CEL off. No codes. Fluttery miss from 20-30mph gone.

Damn man, best spark plug review I have ever seen!!! Right on Brother, right on.

Just to clarify tho', bosch is bad right? :D

Hahahahaa :D Bloody pyro, classic mate. Did they self clean? You might be able to salvage the platinum and forge a ring for your missus.

hahaha awesome review.

Deuce was trying hard to get rid of them. The ticking I had on cylinder 6 was simply the Bosch plug backed out to the point it wasn't even hand tight anymore.

F'n things. They just plain suck out loud. :D

How did I miss half of this thread!? AHAHAH Between the comments, the pictures and then throw in a few gif. files, even the guys in the warehouse are hearing me laugh lol.

I'm am sorry for your lose of spark plugs. They will be missed. O and a side note.... type in "super spark plugs" and go to google images...I think you will be happy to see whose the first picture in the list

Joe, I just found your Halloween costume:

g-Mascot-Cartoon-Character-Dressed-As-A-Super-Hero.jpg

I found a painting by Bosch of Hell (vague tie in)

Attachments

• bosch_hell.jpg
    bosch_hell.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,846

Come on Lynchy, you gotta admit Joe's Halloween costume is cherry ripe mate! :p:

It most definitley is cherry ripe, but that can't be Bosch Man 'cause it's working and I'd have a grin on my face aswell if my pecker was that big too!! It's nearly dragging on the ground.:D:D:thumbsup:

Look out all you crim's Motorcraft Man is coming.

I'm working.on a costume tonight... ;)

lol! This thread just elevated... :D

Ok, who can describe exactly what's going on here... No half-assed answers!

IMG_2252.jpg

I don't know why I didn't think of this before. Those MityVac pumps are a pain. Trying to keep pressure, turn the wheel, and keep the thing in the reservoir all at one time is hard to do.

So my buddy says "Just hook a length of vac hose to the end of the hose coming off the suction fitting and in stead of using the pump, hook the end to one of the vac lines on the intake. Constant pressure, and it'll let you turn the wheels if you like, and you can let it pull air out as long as you feel like wasting gas. That's what we had to do sometimes at the dealership. You don't want to drive it around like that, but it will work..."

Works freakin' awesome. Why didn't I think of that?

Back