Why I'm in the Market for an Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why I'm in the Market for an Explorer

This isn't an Explorer, but it is the reason why I'm in the market for one. My 2012 Escape got totaled in an accident on I-78 Westbound in NJ.
I-78 is 5 lanes in both directions here. 2 Express Lanes, 3 Local lanes. I was in the Express lanes, going home after arriving on a flight from visiting my parents in FL. Over on the Local side, a car hit a patch of unplowed snow & spun out. A Tractor Trailer following the car slammed on his brakes & jackknifed. The first I knew of the incident on the local side was the tractor-trailer sliding across the median right in front of me. As he was jackknifed, I hit right on the left rear tire of the tractor. Walked away from it, but with a fractured radius bone in my left arm, near the wrist.

Attachments

• IMG_0155 Small.jpg
    IMG_0155 Small.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0158 Small.jpg
    IMG_0158 Small.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_0160 Small.jpg
    IMG_0160 Small.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_0162 Small.jpg
    IMG_0162 Small.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 445

Damn, that's some serious front end damage!

It certainly is! Glad you weren't more seriously hurt.

Thanks guys.

I'm sure what minimized the injuries to myself was the fact that I contacted the truck on the left rear tire of the tractor. I'm sure that it absorbed a lot of the impact & possibly I bounced off of it.
As I was on the Express side of the highway & everyone else involved was on the right shoulder of the local side, I wasn't about to go over there, crossing traffic on foot.
The tow truck operator that towed away my Escape said that I had bent the rear axle of the tractor. I'm not sure if it was actually bent, or maybe dislodged out of the proper position (spring mounts or air bag mounts broken?) so that it was no longer parallel to the axle ahead of it.

Mark

Back