Ranger and explorer wheels and tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger and explorer wheels and tires

chris085

Reaction score
City, State
Stl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
I've done some lurking around on the forum for the past few years and have a question, though it might be silly I'm still asking. As it seems the explorers are basically the same thing as the rangers correct? I have a 2001 Ranger xlt I'm wanting to put some tires on and I know the chart says for the explorers will fit a 31x10.5x15 on a 15x8 wheel with no lift. Can I assume that this would also be true for my ranger? Not really wanting to do a lift quite yet but would like to get the tires and wheels put on. Thanks for any replies.

If your Ranger is 4WD, 31x10.5-15 tires should fit fine if your wheels have the correct back spacing. My 02 came from the factory with 31x10.5-15 tires. They were on 15x7 wheels but a 1" wider wheel should not make that much difference if the backspacing is correct.

If you have a 2WD Ranger you may have to lift it a little for clearance but I don't have any experience with that to advise.

I am now running 33x10.5-15 tires on my Ranger but also have a 1.5" torsion bar lift. I also had to bend the mud flap mounting brackets a little to get clearance at full turn. I've had it off-road in some pretty rough terrain without any problems. My Ranger is a FX4 but the ride height is the same as a 4WD XLT.

Thanks for the info!
I'm thinking about getting the set of the Cragar soft 8's, I guess my next question would be about the back spacing. It says Backspacing (in):4.000 in. Offset:-13.00mm for the Cragar wheel. Will I need to get any wheel spacers or should these be okay? The whole backspacing thing kinda throws me off.

Back