I'm looking to purchase an Aerostar with some issues. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm looking to purchase an Aerostar with some issues.

freesociety

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
No car :(
This is my first post, i'm 17 i'm hoping on getting an Aerostar as my first car/van (or 93 dodge caravan, both appealing styles and great mechanics) as I like vans. Basically going on this all by myself as my family isn't the richest, but I have a good job and can try and make things work. I also have to pay for insurance as well so bear that in mind.

Well, I really like the style of Aerostars and they seem like great vans, perfect for what I want. I looked at one off craigslist and met up with the guy, one of the only ones in the area.

$1500, 1997, has 130k miles. You can see it has cold cold A/C, but seems to have blower issues. I think it's just the switch as when you adjust the knob inside it doesn't blow faster. Could I get an estimated pricing on getting this fixed?

The back bumper is really cracked and looks bad. Found some on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/bhp/ford-aerostar-bumper
isn't too expensive. Is there any tutorial on changing this out?

Also, the interior roof has holes everywhere. I think it's just the sheet (like the covering thing).

If you guys could give me some advice and provide some tutorials/pricing on this. I really need a way of transportation, but I want my first car to be something I really like and i've had my eye out for an Aerostar for a while. Help my dream come true <3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! It might need a new blower resistor which is an inexpensive part. You could test it with an Ohmmeter. The bumper only has a few bolts connecting it, and is an easy job. As for the interior, you might want to have a specialty shop give a price for that. They have to remove the old interior, strip the old fabric, then paste new fabric onto it. I did this myself on my old 1988 van. It's time consuming but possible. You could get a sheet of leather from an upholstery shop, and do this yourself. It will be the only Aerostar with a leather headliner.

I believe the removal/etc of the bumper should be similar to a second gen explorer. It's a few bolts (Maybe 4?) on the underside of the bumper and then a little force to wedge it out.

Everything that you mentioned is easily doable by a beginner. With the help of this forum, there's not much that you shouldn't be able to tackle.

Welcome to this forum! It might need a new blower resistor which is an inexpensive part. You could test it with an Ohmmeter. The bumper only has a few bolts connecting it, and is an easy job. As for the interior, you might want to have a specialty shop give a price for that. They have to remove the old interior, strip the old fabric, then paste new fabric onto it. I did this myself on my old 1988 van. It's time consuming but possible. You could get a sheet of leather from an upholstery shop, and do this yourself. It will be the only Aerostar with a leather headliner.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/5121847174.html

This is the listing. Are these the default tires they don't look like it? My dad thinks I shouldn't get it and I should keep looking. What do you think?

If you don't buy it, I'm taking a short drive to Miami!

Back