• Register Today It's free!

Subwoofer options w/ stock stereo

Craigwell

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 ST XLT 4.0L 4x4
I'm not an audiophile. Sync with iPhone is as good as I need.

I do occasionally think I'm missing out by not having factory subwoofer however. I'm 90% CBC Radio One in the truck, but sometimes I'll rock out a bit.

What's the deal? Can I get a factory sub and plug 'er in ? Wiring ? Were the speakers the same from factory ?

I tried a search on this, found some Gen1 related info, but not much in this vein.

I don't want to get into changing the head unit, or even speakers really. If there's a wiring harness missing by me not having Sub, and factory deck doesn't have connections - I'm just going to live with it.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need a audiophile deck. it has extra connections for the sub and cuts the lows to the regular speakers. You need to go aftermarket head unit if you want to add a sub. On a side note, the factory stereo uses a can bus control for everything so if you do want to go aftermarket you need a metra adapter before you even start. No dimmer signal, parking break speed sensor, and that funky option that leaves the stereo on until you open the door, all can bus. Only one hot wire, one acc, and one can bus feed, the rest are speaker wires.

That is very interesting TBT, thanks for the head's up. Perhaps better speakers than stock are worth considering, but maybe stock unit isn't up for that either.

Definitely not messing with stock stereo unless it craps out off warranty.

No six disc. It's been 5 years since I've played a compact disc. Gave away what ones I had.

I'm running a factory deck. I like the clean look of stock. Read my signature bloc .

Sounds like you just want to low-end bass. My recommendation would be to add something like an infiniti basslink. It's relatively cheap and you can tap into any of the speaker wires for a signal. The hard part will be running a power source to the built in amp. Then if you want, change out the front speakers and call it a day.

Back