How to: - How To: Replace your Headliner | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How To: Replace your Headliner

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
...The writeup over there is just a long version to post #19 of this thread...

..As mentioned in the first post, this takes patience to do. Personally, I would not use a wire brush or tear material off...That is why I used the scraper shown..

...If your headliner is falling down, (even while some of it is still sticking on), I also would not go over old material that is failing with new material...

...Although Koolaid and several others have done this to their first gens, I also will be replacing my X's original headliner this winter...:hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On another note, anyone know how to properly clean headliner? I want to remove a black scuff mark

Resolve carpet cleaner will definitely clean the stain but, then you might have an obvious clean spot. I would test above the sun visor to see how it works on your headliner.

this job all of you doing. is fabulus done .. I got the hard job to change the carpet in the roof and it was a tricky job to do on an explorer you got some dips in the roof and its a big roof to work alone with but it works great

but i got some questions how to get black carpet to an explorer i got an dark green metallic explorer and now i am paint it up hole interior in the same coulor its look great

but looking for the black carpet my question is do anybody now were to find it to an explorer xlt 94..

thx for all help question how to put pics to this forum i cant find it out ??

...Generally anywhere in the States that sells headliner material also sells carpet and they would have several offerings of material in black..:D

This thread gave me the courage to dive in to my headliner fix on my 1996 Limited. Thanks to the OP for posting! The old headliner was beyond disgusting and all ruined from water leaks on the sunroof seal. My job was not just the headliner re-upholstery, but also a sunroof gutter cleansing and complete sunroof seal rebuild. It took me an entire Sunday but so totally worth it. Now my Ex has a cozy new feel and zero leaks :)

4af67cb5-f0e7-44e6-8630-d8eab8e1cebb.jpg

IMG_20130220_221619.jpg

This thread gave me the courage to dive in to my headliner fix on my 1996 Limited. Thanks to the OP for posting! The old headliner was beyond disgusting and all ruined from water leaks on the sunroof seal. My job was not just the headliner re-upholstery, but also a sunroof gutter cleansing and complete sunroof seal rebuild. It took me an entire Sunday but so totally worth it. Now my Ex has a cozy new feel and zero leaks :)

4af67cb5-f0e7-44e6-8630-d8eab8e1cebb.jpg

IMG_20130220_221619.jpg

nice job looks really good how did you do the sunroof slide?

Is this fairly simple for a beginner to do? i have a first gen X sport and my headliner is kind of falling down in some areas and also is cut up in some places, i've been thinking about redoing it but everyone i talk to about it always says it is the biggest pain, also do they really have cardboard? i thought it was a stiff foam pad that was attached to the liner.

Does anyone know the color for the ranger light gray interior headliner?

I see that the site has many options of gray... like to match it as close as possible...

Thanks,
-Nigel

I believe its in the first post as that's what I used to replace stock..

Headliner Fiberglass board

My 96 explorer XLT is American made and has the multi-sheet fiberglass headliner "board" rather than a cardboard backing.
As a previous poster noted I will attempt to spray glue the new foam (purchased 1/2 price at Jo-Ann fabrics in Atlanta Ga (avail online too) directly on top of the old headliner. BUY 3 YARDS ($7.50 per yard 1/2 price) as this is a looooong headliner. It's one piece and runs the entire length of the SUV interior.

I actually followed all steps at the beginning of this blog and I pulled my headliner out the back hatch- damaging the sides some- but those will be replace. I probably will use more care or side-to-side approach to install. I am wondering:

1. I'll pull off the flaking/cracked and dangling pieces fabric but that will leave slight indentations and I am worried the new foam will conform to those "grooves".---Anyone got an idea of a product I could brush/spray on to fill these slight gaps?....or perhaps "seal it" with a coat of something? I've not gotten down to into the fiberglass-so maybe it won't show?

I'll try to upload a couple of pics.

Thanks for any advice.

I am trying to figure how to take my headliner out of my sport trac with out messing it up. I am thinking about going with grey or dark grey suede. Any ideas Tbars4???

If you read thru this thread I beleive there is some tricks to be found from the guys with the extended cab Rangers.

:scratch: I don't think any Sport Trac owners hsve ever chimed in. You may be the first to do it in this thread.

Don't recall anyone recovering an ST headliner either. Have been some sunroof, roof rack, or third brake light leak repairs or mods. Here's a R&R pdf for the headliner. Don't be surprised to find a factory build sheet under the headliner, several have been reported in reasonably good condition and still legible.

Headliner Removal and Installation
https://www.scribd.com/doc/308190021/Headliner-Removal-and-Installation

Thank you swshawaii!

Tears, My headliner is starting to sag no matter what I try to do. But I have been looking @ some charcoal color suede and I like the feel of it, if I do this, I will do a write up on this. now off to see how much it is going to cost me. LMBO! Thank you swshawaii, It had explained it well.

Back