• Register Today It's free!

Need Help With Tensioners.

LoveEmButHateEm

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Xls
So ive recently replaced my timing chain tensioners due to a small rattle and now the rattle is much worse. For about 20 minutes after changing it everything seemed fine but then when it warmed up it was rattleing again. Any ideas?

Thanks Quin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About to replace mine also this weekend , hopefully it will be ok , if not i think im going to just drive it asfar as it goes then buy a reman. engine :thumbsup:

***UPDATE***
Im a complete and total idiot because somehow after i bought another new tensioner i cross threaded the block... would it be worth tapping or should i turn the old thing into a target to shoot at in the back yard?

Fixed

If anyone has had similar problems and think they may have started crossthreading, buy a container of kopr-kote. Its a thread lubricant and it save me big time. The tensioner slipped right in no issues with it on there. Whatever you do, DO NOT FORCE IT, unless you want a huge oil leak.

congratulations!

If anyone has had similar problems and think they may have started crossthreading, buy a container of kopr-kote. Its a thread lubricant and it save me big time. The tensioner slipped right in no issues with it on there.

Thanks for the tip.

Whatever you do, DO NOT FORCE IT, unless you want a huge oil leak.
Good advice. Congratulations on getting it installed!

Back