Tapping into tape deck for AUX on Mach Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tapping into tape deck for AUX on Mach Radio

1990_LX

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton Park, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
As the title state, I currently have my radio taken apart and the tape portion removed. I want to tap into the tape portion to had a line to run to an AUX port like the ones you can buy on ebay. On them when you have something plugged into the aux port it runs through the tape feed so the tape button basically becomes the aux button. Does anyone have an insight on what to tap into to trick the radio into thinking there is an actual tape in there to read? I tried to snag a couple picture of the circuit board on the side of the tape deck if that helps anyone. I would buy the one on ebay however $300 for a stock radio is absurd and obviously they will not give away the trick they do to make it work.

If your suggestion is to tap into the CD changer, please don't even bother. I'm not trying to come off as an ass in any way, however I would really love to figure this out to help anyone else out on here that wants a AUX jack while retaining the factory radio and full use of the factory CD changer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mercur...ts=Model:Explorer&hash=item5d4a95d74a&vxp=mtr
Here's a link for those that don't know what I'm talking about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the board on the tape deck, I'm assuming that the L and R refer to the separate channels, but would this be preamplified? It's tough because to power it to check with a multimeter I would have to put it all back together.

IMG_06571_zpsd3380560.jpg

IMG_06551_zps41a42e3b.jpg

No one has anything to add?

It's hard to say where to tap into from a pic or 2... Plus most people on here have never attempted this.

Find where the head is soldered to the circuit board and tap in right there. It guaranteed to be pre-amp. You should have a right, left, ground all right there.

This seems like more work than it's worth. The factory head unit also has a really annoying factory equalizer setting that kills off the bass after 4/10 volume.
I assume you'd just tap into the left and right leads from the tape head, but if there's no tape in the tape deck then it won't work, as the radio won't stay in tape mode.

Pretty simple, takes maybe 10 minutes to pull the radio and take it apart, I just wish the circuit boards were labeled because I can't find any internal schematics to correspond with the numbers that label each solder point.

I would switch to an aftermarket deck but I:
A) Hate the way they look
B) Want my full steering wheel controls
C) Would like to keep my 6 disc changer.

This is about the tape deck but last night I soldered an aux input onto my cd pcb. I just put a cd with a silent track in and then play whatever I want. The CD player still works and it sounds equal in quality to the radio and normal CDs. I'm not sure if you're situation is similar but if so let me know. For a blank tape you could get one of those tapes that has an aux cable coming out of it and just cut the cable off... That might keep the hu in tape mode.

Just found this thread. Been trying to add an aux port to my dead cassette player on my standard radio. All the hacks I've read say to leave a tape in the player to keep it in "tape" mode. However, mine has parts falling out of it, will never work again, and will not stay in tape mode. Tried to trick the tape detection function my manipulating several combinations of 3 switches on a board that appears to be part of the tape management function, but no luck. There is a geared wheel with magnetic media as part of the tape transport gear chain, and the circuit board has what appears to be a magnetic sensor. This make me think tape management is a sophisticated process in the audio controller chip, and something way beyond my ability to hack. Was hoping for a $4 mini-jack fix to get my XM satellite back, but I guess I'll have to give Mr. Crutchfield a call.

Back