• Register Today It's free!

Location of the Fuel Filter

cyearns

Reaction score
City, State
Grandview, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
From what I have been reading on this forum there seems to be some confusion on where the fuel filter is located on an 02 Mountaineer.

Some people say that is is located under the passenger seat (which is a typical location for Ford products) I see a panel that is covering the fuel lines but there doesn't seem to be a filter behind it (unless I am blind).

The other location some people have said on this forum is that it is on top of the gas tank. If this is so, what is the best way to get to it? Is there access from inside the car, or do you still get to it from underneath?

Once I find it I should be good to change it, I've changed a few before and I have the disconnect tools and know to pull the fuse to the pump to relive the fuel pressure.

Thanks for the help guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from the bottom of the vehicle about right where the passenger feet would be is a shroud held on with i believe 10m bolts. Very hard to see but that is where it is

That's what I thought too and I started to take that off but the plastic from the wheel well and the running boards prevent it from coming off. It didn't look like anything was behind it. Is there a trick to taking it off?

BTW, they are 8 mm bolts. :)

sounds to me like you are close but in the wrong spot. Look inside the frame rail just forward of the fuel tank. Away from the wheel well and running board. Really close to the exhaust pipe you'll see a heat shield. That is where it is. If you look close you'll see the 2 red inlet lines. I have a pic and will post when i figure out how to do it.

I'll be looking forward to the pic, thanks!

Ford's Procedure

Fuel Filter
Removal and Installation
1. Relieve the fuel pressure.

2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.

3. Remove the fuel filter shield.
Remove the nuts.
Remove the shield.

4. Remove the fuel filter (9155).
Disconnect the fuel lines.
Remove the fuel filter from the fuel filter support.

5. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

I have Pictures - but cant figure out how to post them. Email me and I can forward them to you.

donnagel@msn.com

Do you know if special tools are needed to disconnect the fuel lines attached to the filter on a 2002?

Sounds like a stupid question and everyone just says relieve fuel pressure. So just how do you relieve the fuel pressure ?

Taking the gas cap off is gonna relieve the fuel pressure built up from the fuel pump? That pressure is in the fuel lines, not in the gas tank right? How will removing the gas cap remove pressure in the fuel lines? That's what I mean, everyone says relieve the pressure but there doesn't seem to be a set way . I'm confused

Don't worry about relieving pressure, I changed mine 30 minutes after I drove it. You'll just need to keep your head out of the way when you pop the line off;) Don't break the red plastic tabs!!! Read the sticky and you should be set. Also, look under the passenger floorboard inside the frame rail. There is a tin looking shroud that protects it. Look for fuel lines and then you'll find it. Good luck!

Fuel fileter and PVC Value 2002 Ford explorer

OK, I just spend 30 minutes + crawling under my explorer, 1). looking for the fuel filet, I bought one and thought it would be pretty easy. cannot find it, some say it is under the passenger side, outside to get to it?

2). The other is the PVC value, I took off the air filter and the big black cover of the carburetor, still can't find it. Anyone know where it is?:exp:

Well the PVC is on the drivers side valve cover on the end by the firewall, between the firewall and valve cover. You can't really see it but if you put your hand back there you will find it.

Now tell me where is the carburetor? :)

Instead of digging up an old thread over 2 years old, perhaps you could just use the stickied thread aptly titled Fuel Filter replacement w/pics. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198626

And tower is assuming you have a 4.0. The PCV (not PVC) is on the passengers side valve cover if you have the 4.6

*meant not met...now am I your hero too?

Wow, you guys are excellent proof readers.

To answer your question NO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually tower, to be fair, the typo originally belongs to TThomason. But I dont mind a bit of hero worship now and then, just dont get too carried away. Baked goods on the doorstep is fine. :D

Back