Power lock jammed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power lock jammed

chadg007

Reaction score
I cannot get my lock driver side to unlock 99 explorer. Key, remote. and button on inside of door will not unlock. No tension on handle on either outside or inside. Belive it is broke. But i need to get the door open to take the it apart. any ides how i can i get the door open

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea i have tried.. the door handle has no tension to unlock the door.. and the power lock will not unlock. tried unhooking the battery cable to see if it may release the locks but no go.. any other tips to get it open? remove the panel and try to manually get it open? the hard part is getting the panel off with the door closed

I didnt mean the door handle that opens, I was talking about the handle you pull to close the door. it has 2 screws holding it on and then it slide forward. I dont think the door panel can come off because of where it meets the dash. Maybe unbolt the seat and try to get some more room. Then you can pull at least the back section of the panel up and see a rod that can be reached.

o yea that was what i was trying to do to get the panel off. it is going to be hard yea i know i can take the 2 screws out but i dont know if i can get that panel off to get to the rod. can you slim jim the door? will it mess up the auto locks at all?

also i didnt know if there was a fuse or something i could change to possibly open the locks up i am tryning just to get the door unlocked.. it has power and it pushes it up a bit but it wont fully unlock it

also i didnt know if there was a fuse or something i could change to possibly open the locks up i am tryning just to get the door unlocked.. it has power and it pushes it up a bit but it wont fully unlock it

if the acutator is trying, then it's not a fuse.

Try this: while your hitting the power un-lock, try turning the key at the same time, that worked for me when mine got bound up and needed some lubrication.

Try squirting some WD-40 in the keyway, couldn't hurt.

yea i am going to try a slim jim if i can find one. but yea the lock does have power it pops up about 3/16 of an inch like it is going to open but wont pop all the way . I tried using the key but its stiff and wont turn. Ill try hitting the unlock and using the kay at the same time and squirt some wd 40 in there see if that will work and also the slim jim. I tried to take the panel off yesterday but i cant get to the clips at the bottom and I am trying whatever i can do to get the door open without having to remove the seat. Does anyone know if a coat hanger will work on the door? i dont know if i can get it through the window seal. To be honest i was never good at using a coat hanger on popping a lock so ill see if a friend might can help me. I didnt know if there was a fuse i could take out that would disable the auto lock feature because if i do get it unlocked once i put it in drive its going to lock back down again

I didnt know if there was a fuse i could take out that would disable the auto lock feature because if i do get it unlocked once i put it in drive its going to lock back down again

I think I disabled that the first week I had the truck, man that annoyed me...

If you still have the manual, it has the process to disable it in there. I think it's the same for all years though, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ok i tried using the key and the unlock button at the same time and the key lock just gave in.. now it has no tension either my key will turn to lock and unlock but does nothing. I have a firefighter friend that is going to try and slim jim it. also i checked my manual and couldnt find anything on disabling the auto locks ill check again but if anyone could tell me how that may be helpful. ive tried to remove the panel but having issues with getting it out with the seat in

that same thing happened to me. i had to remove both seat, and the center console. i was able to pry the door panel back just enough to get my arm up the door, and have someone on the outside pulling on the door so it would open. that was a 3 hour job, and not something that i EVER want to do again. it turned out the latch was broken some where, and had to buy a new one

Back