Rancho RS5374 Front Shock Review | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rancho RS5374 Front Shock Review

They bolt up and fit just fine, I think by lower mount he may have been talking about the rod below the shock body that gives clearance for the CV, modified to give it better clearance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It was your quote....

Im doing the torsion twist but I don't think Im going to do the rear shackles by the way as I always thought that would give the truck a rake again after leveling it with the torsion twist. I still haven't decided what shocks to get but Im looking over all these threads...

By he, I meant the tech I talked to at Rancho about the shocks. If you just want to level it, then definitely don't install the shackles.

ok, I see.

When I type in that part number and look it up on google, I get this on the summit site, which appears to be a reference to the standard RS5000

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RAN-RS5374

Should I call Rancho direct?

I went ahead and called Rancho....they said to use the 5374 in the front and, for me, since I'm not raising the back, 5185's in the rear

If you want to spend a bit more, the Rancho 9000XL shocks for the back are awesome. Our application is RS999185. I've put a few hundred miles on mine now and have them set to three, and they're amazing. My bed and rear end don't shimmy and shake going over every bump, they're still plenty controllable at highway speeds even being at that soft of a setting, and they're American made. Can't beat that.

well, I had the 5374's installed on the front today and the 5185's installed on the rear...along with new Cooper ATP tires. Also the camber kit and a TT to 1 1/2". My mechanic did a great job, the truck seems pretty good, I ran over some railroad tracks and it didn't hardly vibrate...

bumping this for some updates before I buy a set of rs5374's

After the months I used them and about 9,000 miles i've put on them I still like them. I recently lifted the tt a bit more to about 3 inches and the shocks do help with the ride, obviously doesn't make it smooth, but it does with the harshness. I would buy them again once these wear out

Works nice

After reading this review, I went ahead and purchased the RS5374 for front and the RS9000XL for back. I am TT twist in front and shackles in rear...mine is an 2002 X-sport and they fit perfect...the ride is way better
i have my rears set at 5 for now and seems to be a good number for daily driving. My OEM shocks i put on 3-years ago wore out rather fast after putting on heavy 32"s so i am hoping to get more life out of these

Doug

Rancho rs5374

would RANCHO RS5374 help with the weight of a small 375lb plow mounted
I have the kyb shocks but I noticed the rancho is 5 inches longer extended than the oem shock. I'm trying to get some advice what shock would be better the RANCHO RS5374 or the KYB monomax

The rs999185 is an extended length sock for the rear. It seems way to long for just a shackle lift. Is that not true? I'm planning on a a rear aal and if that's not enough to match my TT then I'll add shackles too, so I'm just curious if I should get the longer or short versions.

So I just recently installed these same shocks. The 5000s and 9000s. Feels great. I've been experimenting around with the shock setting. Had them on full stiff and ride was bouncy like a mini truck. Then went full soft. Definitely could notice a difference. Now I have them set to 3 and it seems pretty comfy.
Obie, could u measure the height from the ground to the bottom of your front subframe. I need to raise the front more but I'm wondering how far I can go without causing CV binding.

I have about 1" to 2" torsion twist in the front and added a leaf in the rear which pick it up about 2" with 31" BFGs.
Right now I have the stock size shock. They seem to ride fine and not bottom out at all. But I am wondering if I need to up the size of them with something like ranchos more so because my tires have been cupping a decent amount and I know that the alignment is dead on because I have had it on and off my alignment rack.
So my question is do I need Ranchos? If so what size?

I have about 1" to 2" torsion twist in the front and added a leaf in the rear which pick it up about 2" with 31" BFGs.
Right now I have the stock size shock. They seem to ride fine and not bottom out at all. But I am wondering if I need to up the size of them with something like ranchos more so because my tires have been cupping a decent amount and I know that the alignment is dead on because I have had it on and off my alignment rack.
So my question is do I need Ranchos? If so what size?

bump

I installed a set on the front of my Eddie Bauer last week. (I have coil spring assist shocks in the rear). It drives much better, more stable and it rides and drives better. Of course that could be because I discovered a broken sway bar link while replacing the shocks and repaired it to... So glad I got em for a number of reasons. I got mine from Summit Racing and paid about 104.00

make sure your wheels bearings are good. I assume its your front tires that are cupping. you should be rotating the tires often. it also could just be what BFG tires do because I had Kuhmo's for almost 60k miles without cupping. Also what are the specs to your alignment? I would do my own alignments at work also but I would set my camber at absolutely 0 and set the toe to the minimum of toe in I could without the truck wandering.

make sure your wheels bearings are good. I assume its your front tires that are cupping. you should be rotating the tires often. it also could just be what BFG tires do because I had Kuhmo's for almost 60k miles without cupping. Also what are the specs to your alignment? I would do my own alignments at work also but I would set my camber at absolutely 0 and set the toe to the minimum of toe in I could without the truck wandering.

Yes I know my bearings are good. My alignment is dead on perfect with the specs it call for, I have had it on and off my alignment machine multiple times. All four a cupping on me and I have been rotating them every other oil change. They are also starting to dry rot with still have the tread life left. I am looking at just getting a new set now like the new All terrains. I am thinking about just replacing all 5 shocks when I get the new ones to rule out that factor.
So now I need to decide on which tires to go with and which shocks to go with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just did a TT and shackles/Monroe Coil Overs in rear, on 31s. I've been in an Ex with TT and 31s and Monroes in the front and it drove so friggen stiff. My truck rides and drives way better with these Rancho RS5374 in front. Def make a difference, still have to get longer torsion bolts for the front, as rear sits noticeably higher still.

But as is, the truck drives incredibly nice, stiff yes but in a good way not uncomfortable at all, much better then stock and much better then when I just had Monroe Reflex in front and Monroe Air shocks in rear.

Back