• Register Today It's free!

3.0L engine swap.

Brian Skinner

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Island NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 aerostar
I know this is a strange question ,but what the hell. I was wondering how a duratec v6 would fit in my van. Yes I know it's a fwd engine but I was thinking 200 horses or possibly more but I'm not sure exact specs. I was thinking that they're both 60 degree v6's but it's an idea to throw at. Any thoughts on hand?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The RWD transmission has to be used unless you plan on converting it into a front wheel drive vehicle. The E-4WD front hubs will have to be used to enable CV to connect to the front wheels. It's an interesting idea if you want to make a project.

I was wondering how I could get the EEC 5 electronics to an EEC 4 system if you get what I mean. My 95 still has eec4 but just thinking of the gain seems tempting doesn't it, but I'm waiting until something happens to my vulcan(god forbid). We do have an 01 taurus duratec and it scoots pretty good and we get the same mileage as we do with our van. Any thought are very welcome. I know I may be crazy, but I'm just thinking it might( and I mean might) fit because of being a 60 degree engine and yes I would beef up the A4LD to be able to handle the torque from that engine

Eventually I plan on taking a tape of my engine of the taurus and the bay of the van just for the hell of it to see what has to be done. I was thinking of v8 but that requires at least cutting the trans tunnel or more that why the other option would possibly putting a duratec in it. I do plan to tow with it occasionally but not all the time. Just ideas being thrown out for the hell of it

I was curious about how I can get the EEC 5 engine to correlate to the EEC 4 drivetrain, abs, etc. to talk to each other. I'm trying to get all information before attempting this project. The van runs good now, but I'm thinking future plans. I do want this van to pull a camper, but I didn't want to butcher up the van. I want it to seem stock but in the long run know it has been customized but not want others to think that way, just make it seem like it came from the assembly line that way even though we all know better than that. Any advice will be extremely great full. Thanks. Brian

Other questions I had were 1) do they make upgraded aftermarket suspensions for the aerostar(i.e rear control arms both upper and lower) and front suspension parts(i.e front control arms both upper and lower)? The reason I ask is more for towing purposes and I think that the weak control arms in the rear axle wouldn't be capable of performing this task very well considering it has 150k+ and I don't really have the tools to replace the bushings. And 2) Would the seal beam headlights from an Econoline van work for the Aerostar so I could replace my yellowed headlights. I keep polishing them to clear and they keep yellowing, which pisses me off. I saw the article about the seal beam conversion and I am seriously thinking about it, but the problem is that Aerostars are almost next to impossible to find here in Grand Island, NE. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I keep polishing them to clear and they keep yellowing, which pisses me off.

Just a thought, you could sand your headlights with 800 grit and clear coat them and they will look like new again. No more polishing!

Back