Where's the computer module on this thing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where's the computer module on this thing?

Bored_2wd

Reaction score
City, State
Westmont, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger
Alright, I need the keyless door lock code so I can set my own. I've been told by the dealer that it's printed on the computer, just behind the glove box. I got the glovebox pivoted out, can't see anything that looks like a door code. Actually can't find anything that looks like a computer. Can anyone help?
--Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stopped by the dealer at lunch. They said they used to do that on most cars, but the new(er) ones don't have that anymore. You have to plug into the computer to get the code. One of their guys came out and looked at all the spots they typically have used - behind the glove box, on the a and b piller, behind the radio, under the dash, on the firewall, behind the rear seat in the little compartment, etc. He couldn't find it anywhere. Normally to connect to the computer it's around 40 or 50 bucks he said. So I've placed a call into the dealer that sold me the car (a dodge/chrysler dealer) to see if they'll pay for it. I should get the code with the vehicle.
--Bob

The sticker should still be on teh module, and according to the service manual, the module is located behind the passenger side air bag. You *may* be able to see it if you pull the stereo trim and stereo out, but I wouldn't bank on it. It's worth a shot!

Otherwise, pull the air bag, or talk to a locksmith. Many locksmiths now have the software and hardware for programming keys and may be able to see the door code(s) too.

-Joe

On my 2001, the computer module is located behind the passenger airbag. Lower the glove box completely down and that will give you access to to either 7 or 8 mm bolts. Remove the bolts and the airbag will slide right out. There is a wiring connection on the back side of the airbag that you will need to release if you are working by yourself. I would recommend disconnecting the negative cable on your battery before handling the airbag and always handle the bag gingerly. You can be injured if the bag deploys. Once the bag is removed, there is an ivory (very pale yellow) box in the upper left side of the opening in front of you. That is the computer module. The sticker for my door lock code was on top of this module. It is a 5 digit number and I believe all odd numbers. It should be obvious if the sticker is there. Good Luck!

get it scanned.

I have a 200 ford and they upgrade the code in the computer and didn't even place a sticker on the computer or anywhere else. So the SuperChip I ordered didn't work. Had to pay another $30 to have it re-coded. A friend had an OBD-II hooked up to his laptop. read the code in 25 seconds.

:fire:

Labulldog

LABULLDOG,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, You have know idea as to how many inquires I have made trying to find the code for the key pad. Most people say look in the jack compartment, it may have been at one time or another but it's not there now. The Florida dealer (LONGWOOD LINCOLN - MERCURY) wanted $89.00 to plug in and get the code for me. They actually said it would take close to an hour. Needless to say I will be using a different dealer for routine maintenance and repairs. To anyone that has not done this, it took me 30 minutes to remove the air bag and module and put everything back together. I agree with the removing of the battery cable for safety sake.

Thanks again.
Steve
2001 Explorer Sport 2wd

This is easy enough to do. On my 2003 Sport trac, lift off the defroster grill, should lift up with little effort. Try using a flat blade screwdriver. On the passenger side lift up the wiper look thru the windshield above the glovebox. using a penlight you should see the module with the sticker on top. Carefully read the 5 digit bold number on the sticker. Thats it...5 min.

no way... im glad a read this thread !!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is easy enough to do. On my 2003 Sport trac, lift off the defroster grill, should lift up with little effort. Try using a flat blade screwdriver. On the passenger side lift up the wiper look thru the windshield above the glovebox. using a penlight you should see the module with the sticker on top. Carefully read the 5 digit bold number on the sticker. Thats it...5 min.

This person was right it took me 5mins and a mirror to reflect some sunlight into the dash so I could read the numbers.

Thank you so much for the posts! We have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, and like so many others, I found post after post saying that the computer module with the code was in the left rear jack compartment, when all of the time it was under the passenger dashboard! I took off the defroster panel with a flathead screwdriver and used a flashlight to see the code. Voila!

One thing to note, at least on my model, you don't look straight down through the windshield to see the code, you have to kind of look horizontally back in the direction of the passenger seat under the dashboard panel.

Its a lot simpler than that..

Dude just pry open the defrost vent on the dash and look through the windshield and you should see the computer module and the code right on top of it.

Mine is inside the jack compartment right in the middle. I have to look inside it from the passenger side toward the drivers side in order to see it.

You are spot on mate, however you will NOT see the number by just removing the A/bag ass'y (2x8mm bolts) its located on top of the small cream coloured computer box as you described, and I removed that by simply taking out the two 7mm screws retaining it to the ventilation ass'y, and as it was so dirty the label was un readable so a wipe with a clean rag, and bingo, the whole job 15 min, and enjoyable at that, now in and out no keys,,,,wow.................PS remove earth strap from battery before starting job...........Larry

Welcome to the Sport Trac forum Larry.

If your module is behind the air bag then your 2001 is a Job 2. The 2001 Job 1 modules are in the rear storage compartment.

hey y'all. sorry to interrupt, jus tryn to make a post. this is my first computer and first forum i've ever been on. i skipn all the caps and comas and all jus to be quicker while i'm one fingering every letter in this post right now. i just want to do it to see where it ends up. all this is confusing to me. i will get it eventually.(haha) someone could reply if like,if not thats cool too. thanks ya'll!

that was awesome! for me anyways. just getn my feet wet you know. going to bed soon, not that anyone cares. i get back on tomorrow to see if anyone replies or not then im set to blog or whatever. get more info from you guys to learn my way around and such. hope i can help,or learn from everyone on this sites. thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh yeah, since this is what we are here for in some form or another. my 98 4.0 has compcams 422 cam, longer pushrods and delta cams hardened rocker cup rocker assembly, dual valve springs, gasket matched top end, bigger injectors, 75mm air meter, old 4.0 liter performance bored throttle body, cone filter, electric fan, 3" dump flowmaster, jba headers, lc1 wide band and finally tuning just done by james at henson performance to make it all better.

Back