Rt Turn signal light buzzing istead of blink | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rt Turn signal light buzzing istead of blink

go4par

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn,Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer XLT
Hi every one,
my 96 Ford Explorer right turn signal light buzzing instead of blinking but left side works normal. I checked rt front and rear turn signal light bulbs and they all looked OK.
I replaced turn signal relay(flasher) from auto part store but still have same problem.(of course it's not returnable)
Can any one tell me what's the next step could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your MFS (multi function switch) is bad. AKA your turn signal switch.

Sounds more like a relay to me, the click is the sound of the relay moving. A buzzing instead sounds like it isn't doing what is should. I'd start there anyway, just swap one side for the other if it doesn't change then it's some where else.

mine does the same thing too when its cold although it rarely does it.. along side of that my wipers do occasionally stop in the middle of the windshield..

i've already swapped and replaced the wiper relays but havent touched the relay for the turn signal..

go4par, post your result if ever you decide to replace your multifunction stalk..

Your MFS (multi function switch) is bad. AKA your turn signal switch.

Yup, mine was doing the same thing, got a new one for like 25dlls and changed it myself in ~20 min

MFS. Mine used to do the same thing. Buzz on left turn, no buzz on right turn (or was it the other way?, I forget because I replaced it years ago).

Some people report smoke coming out. That's a bad thing. Maybe you want to replace it before it gets that bad, or maybe you like living on the edge. Your call.

Dan,Dog friend,jad2411 and others,
Thanks you very much guys.
i replaced MFS(multi function swith) this morning and working fine.
It took me about 40 min to remove and replace first time and cost me less than $60 include tax on local parts store.

I had the same problum but it turned out to be a short in the steering column for me, the wire would touch when i dropped the steering wheel down.looks like you got your fixed already though :D

1996 Explorer flasher relay buzzing noise, inoperable windows.

Hi Everyone,

Just replaced my flasher relay switch due to signals not operating. Now, the signals work but I'm getting an intermittent yet steady buzzing noise from the new flasher relay and to boot, my power windows are not working now either. Would this also be an MFS problem? Thanks in advance for your help!

Turn Signal "growling at me"....

I have a 2005 Explorer which has served me well so far. Recently, while using my turn signal indicator, I notice if I accidently move it forward ever so slightly while using it to indicate a right turn, it "growls" at me. It is VERY sensitive. About 50% of the time, while indicating a right turn, it works fine but, as I said, if it moves ever so slightly forward while I lift the handle, it will make a buzzing or growling sound and the signal will not work. I think it is the multifunction switch, which everyone seems to reference. Can anyone confirm my suspicions? THANKS.

when I removed mine I was able to visually tell that it was damaged so you might start by removing it and inspecting it. Mine looked burnt and some plastic parts a bit melted. To this day the new one still works :)

turn signal noise.....

when I removed mine I was able to visually tell that it was damaged so you might start by removing it and inspecting it. Mine looked burnt and some plastic parts a bit melted. To this day the new one still works :)

Thanks for the info. I assume you mean the multifunction module, not the flasher module. I tried to access the flasher module but Ford, in their emminent wisdom, opted to make this darn near inaccessible for a novice like me. I also moved the steering wheel down and it seems to work better now. I am wondering if I have a slightly pinched wire in the column which may be the root cause of all of this. Again, thanks for your response and suggestions.

:exp::exp:
I had the same problum but it turned out to be a short in the steering column for me, the wire would touch when i dropped the steering wheel down.looks like you got your fixed already though :D

Thanks Crazy, I was looking to see what the problem could be and saw your post. I remembered adjusting my steering wheel on an extended trip the other day and bingo, that's it. Even if I turn the signal on and then adjust the steering wheel it stops working and starts buzzing.

Back