2nd gen Front bumper build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen Front bumper build

HA! exhaust tube! you took a page out of my book. did that to a friends s10 front bumper years back. i also somehow missed the mounts you welded to the frame. i've said before i would never want to rear end your truck, now i would never want to be rear ended BY your truck lol.
that came out great josh. any plans to do a winch mount in it as well?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will take some more pics tomorrow. Yeah Tim I was scratching my damn head trying to find pipe that big that wasn't 1/2 wall! I had an epiphany and ran to the local big truck parts store. 16$ for a foot of tubing and I was set. Outside diameter of the lights was 4.5" so it fit perfectly. I was going to make up a front receiver for it but I couldn't make it look right. I haven't given up on it yet thou. I am also kicking around hiding a winch back there. I originally wanted to have the winch mounted to a receiver so I could use it front or rear so we'll just have to wait and see how it turns out!:D

A few more pics

Attachments

• 20141115_133604.jpg
    20141115_133604.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 680
  • 20141115_133626.jpg
    20141115_133626.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 617

Looks really good! Awesome job man!

Nice work man, glad to see the finished product. Just a suggestion for the bottom edge of the bumper though, take some 1" or 1.25" 1/8" wall tube, cut it in half and weld it to the back side of the bottom edge for when the bumper digs into the dirt, rocks, etc... to give it more support or it might want to catch and peel/ bend back. Either that or make a slit in the tube and fit it over the bottom edge of the bumper as kind of a slider. Otherwise awesome work. :thumbsup:

Nice work man, glad to see the finished product. Just a suggestion for the bottom edge of the bumper though, take some 1" or 1.25" 1/8" wall tube, cut it in half and weld it to the back side of the bottom edge for when the bumper digs into the dirt, rocks, etc... to give it more support or it might want to catch and peel/ bend back. Either that or make a slit in the tube and fit it over the bottom edge of the bumper as kind of a slider. Otherwise awesome work. :thumbsup:
thanks for the input and I was planning on adding something to the bottom for that very reason. I'm still going to add a receiver to it so when I take it back off for that I'll see what I can come up with! Next project is going to be a swing out tire carrier for the back!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! It's awesome to see others like my ideas and work and it makes me want to tackle more projects!

Cool, EMS offroad is where I bought the spindle/ latch kit for my swingout tire carrier build.

Thanks I'll check them out. I was looking at the heavy duty kit from A to Z fab.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate it! It's awesome to see others like my ideas and work and it makes me want to tackle more projects!

cappy thing is, you have to see how good this looks in person. josh, you should also post up some pics of the rear bumper. not sure how many people have seen that either

cappy thing is, you have to see how good this looks in person. josh, you should also post up some pics of the rear bumper. not sure how many people have seen that either

Thanks Tim! Ask and you shall recieve!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-10-13-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-10-13-1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 515
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-10-25-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-10-25-1.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 517
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-12-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-12-53.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 519
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-12-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-12-13.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 511
  • Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-10-54-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-21-06-10-54-1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 503

Here's the finished for now product

Attachments

• 20140707_161008.jpg
    20140707_161008.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 522

Very nice! One of my favorite Delaware V8 sports

Very well done. The blending on joints are wonderful, not a skill that is easy to master. Is that 1/4" plate? does your hitch tube connect to anything besides where it passes through? If not, have you put any good tugs on it yet, and how did it hold up? Nothing but pure kudos from me on a very impressive job. I doubt there is anyone on this site that wouldn't love to have those bumpers for their own rig. Cannot wait to see you're tire rack design and how it turns out.

Very well done. The blending on joints are wonderful, not a skill that is easy to master. Is that 1/4" plate? does your hitch tube connect to anything besides where it passes through? If not, have you put any good tugs on it yet, and how did it hold up? Nothing but pure kudos from me on a very impressive job. I doubt there is anyone on this site that wouldn't love to have those bumpers for their own rig. Cannot wait to see you're tire rack design and how it turns out.
thank you it was tricky to keep it all even and smooth. The front bumper is all 3/16 with 1/4 mounts. The rear is 3/16 on the bottom angled part, 1/4 top plate and 3/8 mounts. The receiver is actually a class 3 hitch that's welded between the frame mounts and welded solid all the way across the top plate and where it comes thru the bumper. I have towed a lot with it and yanked pretty hard on it retrieving stuck rigs. IT IS SOLID! Lol I'll try to get a shot of it from underneath showing the hitch when I get home.

You got me wanting to lift mine

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back