Hesitation going into reverse

Andy96XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branchburg NJ, Bethlehem PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hey everyone,
Over the past few months I have noticed that my 96 explorer hesitates when I shift it into reverse when I first start it. The hesitation is longer depending on how cold it is. It eventually does go into reverse relatively smoothly, but sometimes takes up to 10 seconds. If I put it in drive it goes pretty much right away. Once the car is warm there is no problem. Is there anything I should worry about or is it just something that happens with the cold weather? I believe I have the 4R44E trans (automatic) and just had the tranny flushed and filter changed 5K miles ago. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There can be several things contribute to this. One is normal wear. Have the trans serviced and adjusted and see if that helps.

Hey everyone,
Over the past few months I have noticed that my 96 explorer hesitates when I shift it into reverse when I first start it. The hesitation is longer depending on how cold it is. It eventually does go into reverse relatively smoothly, but sometimes takes up to 10 seconds. If I put it in drive it goes pretty much right away. Once the car is warm there is no problem. Is there anything I should worry about or is it just something that happens with the cold weather? I believe I have the 4R44E trans (automatic) and just had the tranny flushed and filter changed 5K miles ago. Thanks!

You have a 4R55E BTW. I would check the the fluid level after driving 10 minutes. Let it idle in park on a level surface, set parking brake, pull the stick and check that its toward the top of the dipstick marks. Sometimes they inadvertently under fill the trans a bit after a major fluid service, and cold weather will amplify this issue. Add fluid in 4 oz intervals, wait a bit till it goes down the tube, and recheck. These units are very sensitive to low fluid levels. Do not overfill above the marks. Don't worry about 1mm over though, you get the idea.

Hey everyone,

my 95 does the same thing except the o/d light is flashing as well

As stated above I did just have the transmission serviced. I will check the fluid levels tomorrow though to check and see if maybe I am just a little low on tranny fluid. I think that makes sense.... thanks

You could add the TransTec Viton D ring low/reverse servo kit, Sonnax end plugs with O rings, and a boost valve with O rings. If this doesn't help, then you might need a new EPC solenoid, and valve body gaskets. The reverse modulation valve could be sticking. Check the pressure in reverse with a 0-300 PSI test gauge. Sometimes the valve body bolts get loose, and need to be re torqued.

When you had it serviced, did you have the bands adjusted?

Many times when you have a delay like this, it's because things have worn to the point that it just takes time to fill the servos, clutches, etc. Clearances are more allowing a bit more leakage, pressures are down just a bit, and so forth. All can add up to an engagement delay. Especially when cold. But I admit...I don't think I've ever seen one that took 10 seconds.

Mine takes a second or two to fully engauge into reverse.
I don't worry about itm, fluid is nice and clean and it shifts nice and crisp once it's going.

Sorry I have neglected this thread ha, BrooklynBay, Thanks for the info but unfortunately I have no idea what any of that means ha. And Cobra I do not believe any of the bands were adjusted, just a new filter, fluid, and gasket.

edit: also I don't think it takes a full 10 seconds... maybe 6... I am about to go out for the first time this morning. I will time it this time ha.

Back