Sport trac 2001-wont start

Chev19801980

Reaction score
City, State
Pundakit San Antonio Zambales
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
My V6 2001 Sport Trac just died while running when stopped at the lights,

Tried to restart numerous times but will only turn over-JUST DEAD, next I noticed there was no check engine light when turning on ignition, checked all fuses/changed out relays/actually checked there was power to the PCM and the ground to pcm had continuity,Ran a diagnostic check with my OBD1/11 which came back saying no errors!, also checked inertia switch etc, all good,

With that information is it time for a new PCM?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No start..........

do you have an anti theft light on your dash?
When you try and start it does it blink real fast? 8x a sec.
if so you have the same issue I have with mine. the anti theft module behind the airbag glovebox area.
part no
# ford XL2T-19A475-AA. ( no longer in inventory, on ford books , but they can still order)

If it does flash fast, let me know, I have something I want you to try that has helped me...
Mine acts up when it is outside below 30degrees for longer than 4 hrs.

Hi there, and thanks for the input, I have double checked several times the PATs system and all appears to be working as per normal(ie: lights up with ignition on for the first 2-3 seconds then goes out (as per normal), with the door open and key in ignition but not on! the Pats system light will slowly blink, but as above once in the start mode all seems correct,
Again each time I turn on the ignition all the warning lights come on except the check engine light which remains dead as is the engine (but does turn over well -just wont fire up)

Cheers Steve

Have you checked the coil pack......?

I must admitt I have not checked the coil pack, thinking that if no check engine light comes up with the start cycle then the coil pack wont be getting the signal (to energize!) and thus will be dead any way??

Also thinking that I would see a error message with the OBD 11 attached ?? instead it states no errors, I can smell gas if I keep turning it over for a time and it has a new fuel pump (1 month ago) but obviously not firing (as above)

Cheers

Check the PCM relay?

If you do not hear the fuel pump prime there is a power loss to the PCM.

Check ALL fuses, there are a few which protect the PCM and instrument cluster.
I hope these are close to yours.
Passenger compartment fuse box

5ed3990eb795fcb43bfd8999bc0aca37.gif

Power distribution box under the hood

2010-02-25_213124_adafafrae.gif

Hi. Check the condition of the crank position sensor connector. Time and again I've seen a little water get in, and corrode the terminals...

hi can anyone help me i have a 96 explorer that is is being a pain
The problem i have is put key in ignition turn ignition on all dash lights come on,try and start it nothing happens turn ignition off and take the key out all the lights stay on and the only way to turn them off is to disconnect the battery.
I was told it was the ignition cylinder so changed it no difference then i replaced the ignition switch fuses and relays checked and still does the same thing .
I am at my wits end as to what it could be.So any help would be great

i need help..... i got a 01 ford explorer that does not always start. it usaully starts when its cold but when it gets warmed up it doesnt. it will keep turning over and might start after 20 times. when it does start it runs fine. everytime i try to test or check something new it runs i dont get it. i pulled a plug wire off to check for spark and it started on 5 cylinders right away. any ideas would help out alot.

Update on Sport trac Wont start

Thanks to all who replied and gave good suggestions, actually after replacing the ECU with new keys (didnt work at all and went back to the old ECU/keys) have found the problem was with the new Airtex Fuel Pump and although I could hear it humming it wasnt pumping at all (only 3 months old). Have now purchased a fuel pressure guage to check in future the pressure (first up and not rely on hearing the pump running). Airtex were not even interested in the situation and stopped replying after the second email, I have now refitted the failed pump with a Delco pump and all is good, Strange thing is the check engine light is still not working and checked the bulb as good by removal (pain in the arse to do). But who cares the engine is running with no issues.:thumbsup:

Back