what is the consensus on the 3rd gen rear noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what is the consensus on the 3rd gen rear noise

dablack

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I've had the rear end noise for years. It looks like we will be driving the explorer for another 100k miles so I'm thinking i would like to fix the howling. I know it isn't the wheel bearings.

So, is the problem in the pumpkin? Do the 2006-2010 pumpkins bolt in? Do they have the same problem?

I just put a newer engine in the explorer and we plan to keep it for many years. I would like to fix this problem soon. Parts are finally getting cheap enough where I could buy a spare used pumpkin, rebuild it, and swap it in.

Thoughts?

thanks
Austin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Um....ok. We are building a house right now. Once done, this might be on my list of things to do. I will let everyone know how it goes. I'm thinking I will pick up a used diff and rebuild it myself.

thanks
Austin

Um....ok. We are building a house right now. Once done, this might be on my list of things to do. I will let everyone know how it goes. I'm thinking I will pick up a used diff and rebuild it myself.

thanks
Austin

How experienced are you at setting up gearsets? If this is a new area for you, the result may make more howling than you already have. See my post in 2002-2005 Explorers, under "rear diff rebuild help", post #6 . imp

Well, I don't have your 50 plus years of experience. But I'm thinking I could do ok.
I found an old shop manual on how to rebuild the steering gear box in my 71 f100. After 3 store "rebuilds", the one I did drove like a new truck.
I designed and built bevel gears for a right angle drive tool used by NASA.
I now design and manufacture industrial gear boxes.

From your post on the other thread I can tell you actually know what you are talking about. I wish you were closer and we could hang out while I set up a pumpkin.

I do plan to get the video from bad shoe productions on how to set up an IRS 8.8.

Austin

Well, I don't have your 50 plus years of experience. But I'm thinking I could do ok.
I found an old shop manual on how to rebuild the steering gear box in my 71 f100. After 3 store "rebuilds", the one I did drove like a new truck.
I designed and built bevel gears for a right angle drive tool used by NASA.
I now design and manufacture industrial gear boxes.

From your post on the other thread I can tell you actually know what you are talking about. I wish you were closer and we could hang out while I set up a pumpkin.

I do plan to get the video from bad shoe productions on how to set up an IRS 8.8.

Austin

Now yer getting somewhere! And thanks for the vote of confidence, the experienced can readily weed out a bullshi!!er. Thing about the 8.8 Ford center section is this: differential side bearing set-up location, as well as preload, are done by use of shims between the outer races and the center section casting. Many other systems use adjusting nuts instead of shimming, making the job much easier. The 8.8, if special measuring tools are unavailable, presents a real headache where things must be assembled and disassembled maybe several times to obtain proper tooth contact pattern AND preload simultaneously.

The Ford Shop Manual is very precise in it's recommending and use of proper set-up tools and technique. The 8.8 uses a scheme similar to the old series of Dana Spicer axles, whereby the casting provides the diff. bearing preload by actually being "spread" by the assembled carrier and it's bearings. A screw-thread spreading tool exerts the high force needed to spread the casting. A "mechanic" who worked for me when I owned a service station used a crowbar to rip the carrier out, and BIG hammer to force it back in! The "spread" is actually not a whole lot, perhaps in the neighborhood of 0.020 inch. Still, the casting is pretty rigid, requiring a lot of force to allow the assembly to be slipped in or out of the housing.

I assume you already know about tooth contact patterns, and the fact that hypoid gears are a bit different than common beveled gears, even spiral beveled gears. I would strongly suggest obtaining a Ford Shop Manual; it excels over all other "after-market" type manuals such as Chilton's by a very wide margin. imp

Edit: BTW, my profile is wrong, sorry, I am located in west-central Arizona, across the river from Laughlin, NV. Help any?

Help any? Indeed you did. I really appreciate the detailed info.

I will be sure to get the FORD shop manual as well as the badshoe video. One of his other videos walked me through a C6 and T5 rebuild.

I once used two screw spread set ups to brace up a flexing I-beam in an industrial setting. Those things can really put out the force!

I have some good measurement tools and have access to more. I think this might just work!

I don't think my profile is right either. I'm up in central East TX (Rusk).

Thanks
Austin

Back