• Register Today It's free!

3rd row seating Installation

smithjer

Reaction score
City, State
Gresham, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Limited
I'd like to install 3rd row seating into a '02 Explorer .. ideas on how difficult this may be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I Don't think it would be overly difficult...I think some here did it already. Try the search button.

A rear seat out of the back of a TJ or a Sidekick might fit right between the wheel wells.

Don't got get about seat belts either.

Seats are in!

Obtained the 3rd row seats from a salvage yard yesterday and had them install in about 2 hours. Working on the seat belts. The shoulder restraint bolts in behind the rear corner panels. All is well but the belts are retracted into the spring loaded belt spool... I can't figure our how to get the belt to pull freely. Any ideas on how to unlock the tension spring / rachet device?

VERY interested in some tips and pics of how you did this! Please let us know.

I finally got around to doing this. The plastic panels snap on and off without tools. You will need a 15 mm socket and a T50 torx socket. Air tools help immensely.
NOTE: Some of these pics are from a factory third row vehicle that I used for comparisons.

List of materials from donor vehicle:

[*]The third row rear bench
• Left and right rear pillar panels ( they have the slots for the belt to pass thru)
• Left and right seat belts,floor bracket and the Torx bolts that mount them.
• Passenger side rear side panel from a third row vehicle unless you want to cut out a hole in your side cover.
• Left and right quick release plastic seat latches for the bottom of the third row seat cushion.
• The metal frame from that goes directly behind the rear seat that allows the jack compartment cover to be installed. You can reuse your bracket that holds the jack down.
• The jack compartment cover from the donor vehicle.
• Extra (matching) carpeting for between the third row foot well at the back of the middle seat floor. Once you remove the plastic footwell there is no insulation or carpet.

Installation

1. You will need to remove both floor panels that cover the jack area.
-unbolt and remove the plastic tray behind the middle seats (this becomes your footwell)

rear%20area.jpg

2. Unbolt the bracket that holds the jack in.

3. Remove trim piece that spans the cargo area (look up at the headliner). This allow the rear side pillar covers to be removed by gently pulling on them.

4. You will also need to pull the wheel well side panels out of the way to access as the seat belt tensioners mount upside down behind the tail lights. The holes will be there. Remember the may seem locked up but that is because they need to be mounted in the correct position for them to unreel.

5. You will see where and how they mount as a little tang has to fit in the provided slot and the corresponding bolt hole lines up perfectly. The holes will not be threaded so use the bolts to cut the threads gently. Be careful not to strip the holes by over tightening the bolts.

rear%20pillars.jpg

6. Replace the passenger side panel with one for a third row seat and then snap the drivers side panels back in place as well.

pass%20side%20cover.jpg

7. Snap the trim piece back in that spans the top of the hatch area.

8. Unbolt the car seat "latches" in the cargo area and replace with the other end of the seat belts. NOTE: You can see that the carpet does not continue.
seatbelt%20.jpg

9. When you set the third row seat in the back you will see where the seat brackets should mount to the floor. The four holes are under the carpet covered with foil tape. Thread the bolts in (they are not threaded but they will cut the threads). Don't over tighten or they will strip out and you will have to attach a nut from underneath the vehicle. You will also need to mount the seat belt bracket in the middle of the seat. The holes are there as well. NOTE:Don't forget to cover the old holes in the floor to keep it from leaking.

10. Mount the metal bracket behind the third row (it has Velcro on it to attached the back portion of the seat cover) and the bracket that locks down the jack. Install the floor compartment cover. You will see that you no longer have the storage space under the floor like before. You are done back here.

third%20row.JPG

11. On the floor where the cushion will go, you will see two rubber black grommets. These will need to be replaced with the two plastic quick release latches that the bottom of the seat cushion clicks into. The rear of the cushion slides under the back and then locks into these brackets.

See picture below.
third%20row%20front%20brackets.jpg

This is also the area you will need extra carpeting and/or sound proofing.

NOTE: Remember that unless you have the folding second row seat it will be a ***** to climb in and out. I picked up all three rows (pwr buckets, middle and third leather )of seats for $280.00 including seat belts, bolts, panels, and all parts necessary from the junk yard.

The second row seats install easily but they use different mounting holes (already in the floor and covered with foil tape). You just need to reuse the original bolts that you removed that held down the original seats.

The front buckets bolt right in but the wiring for the drivers power seat is a PIA and a story for another time.

Hope I didn’t make this too confusing.

3rd row install

photobyfriend, I noticed that you swapped out your 60/40 bench with the 40/20/40 bench, I am assuming that was b/c you wanted the tilt function so people could easily climb into the 3rd row and your 60/40 did not tilt. I just bought a 3rd row and have it installed, but people have to climb in. I also have the 60/40 bench and it only folds down and I was wondering if you noticed or know if the 40 from both bench styles are interchangable so that I can still keep my 60 bench but install a new 40 (from a 40/20/40) that has the tilt functionality. I hope this makes sense to you.

Did you buy from an aftermarket place, if so which one? Also can you post a photo of it?

Thanks!

hi, could you share a picture that shows how finally the 3rd row seat looks after installation?

Obtained the 3rd row seats from a salvage yard yesterday and had them install in about 2 hours. Working on the seat belts. The shoulder restraint bolts in behind the rear corner panels. All is well but the belts are retracted into the spring loaded belt spool... I can't figure our how to get the belt to pull freely. Any ideas on how to unlock the tension spring / rachet device?

Try to position the seat belt mechanism in the position it'll be finally in your car, by doing this you'll see how the mechanisim releases the belt!!!.....any other position will lock the mechanism.....

I finally got around to doing this. The plastic panels snap on and off without tools. You will need a 15 mm socket and a T50 torx socket. Air tools help immensely.
NOTE: Some of these pics are from a factory third row vehicle that I used for comparisons.

List of materials from donor vehicle:

[*]The third row rear bench
• Left and right rear pillar panels ( they have the slots for the belt to pass thru)
• Left and right seat belts,floor bracket and the Torx bolts that mount them.
• Passenger side rear side panel from a third row vehicle unless you want to cut out a hole in your side cover.
• Left and right quick release plastic seat latches for the bottom of the third row seat cushion.
• The metal frame from that goes directly behind the rear seat that allows the jack compartment cover to be installed. You can reuse your bracket that holds the jack down.
• The jack compartment cover from the donor vehicle.
• Extra (matching) carpeting for between the third row foot well at the back of the middle seat floor. Once you remove the plastic footwell there is no insulation or carpet.

Installation

1. You will need to remove both floor panels that cover the jack area.
-unbolt and remove the plastic tray behind the middle seats (this becomes your footwell)

rear%20area.jpg

2. Unbolt the bracket that holds the jack in.

3. Remove trim piece that spans the cargo area (look up at the headliner). This allow the rear side pillar covers to be removed by gently pulling on them.

4. You will also need to pull the wheel well side panels out of the way to access as the seat belt tensioners mount upside down behind the tail lights. The holes will be there. Remember the may seem locked up but that is because they need to be mounted in the correct position for them to unreel.

5. You will see where and how they mount as a little tang has to fit in the provided slot and the corresponding bolt hole lines up perfectly. The holes will not be threaded so use the bolts to cut the threads gently. Be careful not to strip the holes by over tightening the bolts.

rear%20pillars.jpg

6. Replace the passenger side panel with one for a third row seat and then snap the drivers side panels back in place as well.

pass%20side%20cover.jpg

7. Snap the trim piece back in that spans the top of the hatch area.

8. Unbolt the car seat "latches" in the cargo area and replace with the other end of the seat belts. NOTE: You can see that the carpet does not continue.
seatbelt%20.jpg

9. When you set the third row seat in the back you will see where the seat brackets should mount to the floor. The four holes are under the carpet covered with foil tape. Thread the bolts in (they are not threaded but they will cut the threads). Don't over tighten or they will strip out and you will have to attach a nut from underneath the vehicle. You will also need to mount the seat belt bracket in the middle of the seat. The holes are there as well. NOTE:Don't forget to cover the old holes in the floor to keep it from leaking.

10. Mount the metal bracket behind the third row (it has Velcro on it to attached the back portion of the seat cover) and the bracket that locks down the jack. Install the floor compartment cover. You will see that you no longer have the storage space under the floor like before. You are done back here.

third%20row.JPG

11. On the floor where the cushion will go, you will see two rubber black grommets. These will need to be replaced with the two plastic quick release latches that the bottom of the seat cushion clicks into. The rear of the cushion slides under the back and then locks into these brackets.

See picture below.
third%20row%20front%20brackets.jpg

This is also the area you will need extra carpeting and/or sound proofing.

NOTE: Remember that unless you have the folding second row seat it will be a ***** to climb in and out. I picked up all three rows (pwr buckets, middle and third leather )of seats for $280.00 including seat belts, bolts, panels, and all parts necessary from the junk yard.

The second row seats install easily but they use different mounting holes (already in the floor and covered with foil tape). You just need to reuse the original bolts that you removed that held down the original seats.

The front buckets bolt right in but the wiring for the drivers power seat is a PIA and a story for another time.

Hope I didn’t make this too confusing.

All this info was more than helpful, I did it and worked well......I just wanted to add that the unused holes needs to be threaded, in my car all the screwws are M10x1.25......

Thank you!!!!!!

Do you have photos of seat put in?

hello all ! how about uninstalling 3rd row seat?? i would like to put my amps and subs out of the way... have been trying to figure if i can deck over 3rd row, and fab frame to attatch the almost orphaned seat to and have it be able to be removeable?? i should be able to leave shoulder belts in place, and attatch latch ends to seat frame... was eye ballin' my 85 bronco xlt back seat and it folds forward then unpins for removal. has any body done some thing like this before? any pix a plus. thanx:exp:

This is a very helpful writeup!

hello

Is it posible for me to add a 3rd set on my 2004 is cause I need an extra seats but the truck dosent came with a 3rd seat?please help

I hate having a 3rd row seat. Adds weight that I don't need and it kills the amazing storage compartment that I want!

Is it posible for me to add a 3rd set on my 2004 is cause I need an extra seats but the truck dosent came with a 3rd seat?please help

I did it in my 2002 as explained here and it works just perfect!!! be sure you install the seat belts!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back