• Register Today It's free!

blinking check engine light

beenwrong2002

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas,TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
well i've had my fair share of the blinking O/D light, but now I've got a blinking check engine light. A few weeks ago the check engine light came on and I got the codes read at autozone. They said it was something to do with an O2 sensor or the fuel mixture or somethin. But now yesterday the check engine light actually started blinking. I did some searching on here and found most people said it was a misfire of the cylindiers. What are the driving symptoms of a cylinder misfire? What causes the misfire? Could the 02 sensor and/or fuel mixture be related to the possible "misfiring"? I'd appreciate any input/advice/suggestions. Thanks yall for all help and future help. I dont know what I'd do without this site :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't a blinking check engine light an "urgent" problem? I think misfire, too. Are all of your plugs/wires good?

i better get it into the shop then :(

A flashing CEL is telling you there is a problem that could damage the catalytic converter.

A flashing CEL is telling you there is a problem that could damage the catalytic converter.

ah thanks for the info :) I have another question, I had a mechanic tell me that a switch on the side of my tranny was causing my fuses to blow for my 4x4 and my reverse lights. I had my tranny rebuilt like 6 months ago at a shop and it has a 1 year warranty. Yall think this warranty for a rebuild would cover this switch thats on the side of the tranny?

as far as the tranny switch if i was the one that did the rebuild i would cover it but that is the way my shop is run as far as the cel if the code was an o2 code that will some times case it to blink and if it was a miss fire you would know it it woul shake and stumble when you drive it if you getany more info on the cel let us know the more info the better try to get the code numbers they will be like a ( p0123) or some number like that but it should start with a p

as far as the tranny switch if i was the one that did the rebuild i would cover it but that is the way my shop is run as far as the cel if the code was an o2 code that will some times case it to blink and if it was a miss fire you would know it it woul shake and stumble when you drive it if you getany more info on the cel let us know the more info the better try to get the code numbers they will be like a ( p0123) or some number like that but it should start with a p

ill try to get the code numbers again...is the misfire most noticeable when accelerating?

did you get any code numbers yet ? and it will be more noticeable when you give it gas

you should have really got the code numbers... if you go to auto zone they are most likely to tell you an O2 sensor to sell you one. Most likely they got a rich/lean code, or random/multiple misfire. Yes it could be a O2 sensor that could drop both those codes but theres alot of other cheaper things you could check before just jumping and changing stuff or running off to a mechanic.

you should have really got the code numbers... if you go to auto zone they are most likely to tell you an O2 sensor to sell you one. Most likely they got a rich/lean code, or random/multiple misfire. Yes it could be a O2 sensor that could drop both those codes but theres alot of other cheaper things you could check before just jumping and changing stuff or running off to a mechanic.

I have to get the codes read again, i havent had time lately, but i do think its a misfire cuz i can feel it when i accelerate...

Back