• Register Today It's free!

Front-end knocking

Derrick

Reaction score
City, State
Nantucket, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Every now and then, I'll come to a stop and when I begin to accelerate there is a definite knock that you can both feel and hear. It sounds as though it is coming from somewhere in the front end, passenger side. I know that the bushings for both lower control arms are worn, but to replace them you need to buy a whole new lower control arm, something I don't have the money for right now. I have no clue what it is or if the worn bushings have anything to do with it, any ideas?

I had that on the drivers side. If you have 4X4, You probably need to replace or repack the axle knuckle under the boot where it connects to the passenger front tire. I had it in the dealer and they only replaced the seal and regreased it and the noise went away until the grease slowly went away from the knuckle and then its back so now I have to go and get the knuckle and everything replaced. Damn Ford dealer could have done it right the first time, like a seal will fix that kind of noise.

That is all I can think of that I have experienced but you are right it could be the bushings. Just a thought you may want to check out.

Passenger side Knocking...

Every now and then, I'll come to a stop and when I begin to accelerate there is a definite knock that you can both feel and hear. It sounds as though it is coming from somewhere in the front end, passenger side. I know that the bushings for both lower control arms are worn, but to replace them you need to buy a whole new lower control arm, something I don't have the money for right now. I have no clue what it is or if the worn bushings have anything to do with it, any ideas?

After local service dude bled my brakes this morning, i went down the road,and at about 30 mph. this "knocking" noise from passenger side started. Went back to station, and they put it on the ramp, and decided it was probably a bad bearing in front dif??? Any ideas guys and gals. I had it towed to my friends house, whom I trust completely,but wanted to get some ideas from here,before he gets started.

Edit
Idiot at service station didn't tighten up all lug nuts. I panicked and didn't think to check his work.Sad thing is he tried to offer me a front Diff job??
He knew all along.

Back