Need help with popping sound and shaking coming from engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with popping sound and shaking coming from engine

Themightyquinn

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0L AWD
I have a 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L OHV. I just got done replacing my fuel injectors(remanufactured), TPS, valve cover gaskets; repainting my valve covers; and cleaning my fuel rail, upper intake manifold, and throttle body. Now the engine runs like crap. :( When the engine runs, I hear a loud occasional popping sound coming from the engine compartment (not sure exactly where but almost sounds like a backfire) every 3 to 5 seconds and the engine will shake like its a bout to die. The RPMs do seem a little below average for idle, but by barely a hair. Also, a very strong rotten eggs smell coming from the exhaust.I pulled all 6 spark plugs, and all three on the driver side of the engine were very black and sooty and one of them, the arc was actually bent a little (I would post images, but i don't know how to). The other three however, had normal wear. The spark plugs only had less than 1000 miles on them. So I replaced all 6 plugs in the hope that they were the cure, but no luck. I installed them and the engine ran no different. I ran the engine for a few minutes and pulled the plugs. The 3 on the driver side were already kinda sooty, and the other 3 looked fine. When I performed the KOEO test, all i get is 111, meaning all systems ok. When I performed the KOER test and goose test, all I get is 116 (engine coolant temp sensor out of range). Really confused at this point. The engine ran fine before I worked on it other than the leaking valve cover gaskets. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!:usa:
Also, when put into gear (auto trans) the engine dies.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it were me I would start with double checking my work first. Are all the plugs for your injectors on the correct injector. All plug wires in the right order on the coil as well as on the correct cylinder. Are all other electrical connections being made. MAF sensor plugged in. Fuel regulator vacuum line connected. All vacuum lines connected to vacuum tree. I know when I've had my top half off I had broken one of the rigid black vacuum lines going to my EGR vacuum diaghram. Double check it all and then go from there.

Sounds like you hooked something up wrong or didn't hook something up that needs to be. The rotten eggs smell is the catalytic converter, it's either getting destroyed by too rich of a ruel/air mix if the fuel system is dumping in too much fuel, or they are overheating (or both). Re-check everything as suggested. It may be as simple as some unplugged connectors, or you may need to rip it apart and start over.

Did you 'burp' the cooling system as required, or are you just running it straight with air in the system? If you don't burp the air out of the cooling system before running it normally, the trapped air will stick the thermostat closed and the engine will overheat, sputtering and dying. If the coolant temp sensor is fried or dead, you could be overheating the engine but won't know it until it's too late because the gauge reading won't tell you what's really going on.

@Anime, thanks a lot for the reply. I was not aware of the coolant burp. how exactly is it performed? And where exactly is the coolant temp sensor? Thank you.

Fill the system, but leave the cap off the radiator. Shake the vehicle to remove the big bubbles, and refill as the level goes down. Again, leave the cap off or just half on (first click, half on) and crank the vehicle. Turn the heat on high. Once the engine gets warm enough and the temp gauge needle rises to about the middle, then drops a bit, the thermostat has opened. Turn vehicle off. Let engine cool. Remove cap, refill radiator. Fill the overflow tank and let the engine run with the heat on for a few minutes again, with the cap on halfway as before. Heat up to normal temp, until the gauge drops from the thermostat opening. Turn vehicle off. Next morning when the engine is completely cool again, recheck the coolant level in both the radiator and overflow tank.
Tighten radiator cap and you're done.

Note, if the engine temp climbs rapidly after getting to the middle of the gauge - TURN IT OFF! Thermostat is stuck closed and needs to be replaced.

There are 2 coolant sensors, one for the computer and one for the gauge. The Gauge one is a straght shot if you move the clamp on the heater hose out of the way first. The other one is a bit harder as part of the thermostat housing is in the way. So long as the engine is cool you should not have much if any fluid come out as both are at the very top of the engine.

When replacing, have your new one ready and taped so you can put it in immediately.

Unscrew your old one and put that one in as quick as possible and you won't hardly lose any coolant.

On an Explorer with the 4.0 L OHV engine, the coolant temperature
sending unit for the temperature guage is located on the intake manifold
just to the left of the thermostat housing when standing in front of the
vehicle. The larger sending unit on the right is for the EEC system.

Might be the larger sending unit for the EEC system rather than the sensor for the gauge.

You might also need to replace the thermostat itself if you have not already done so.

@pteepee69 Thanks for the reply. I feel like an idiot. I had the spark plug wires on the left side of the engine in the wrong order. Lol. After that she purred like a kitten. Thanks 4 your assistance. Next stop ball joints! Any helpful hints as I have never replaced them before?

@Anime. Thanks a lot. I will give this a shot tomorrow.

I feel like an idiot. I had the spark plug wires on the left side of the engine in the wrong order. Lol.
Not to worry. Every single one of us has done something as or more embarrasing than that. If they say they haven't, they're either lying or have never done any type of repair/maintenance work. ;)

Back