4R70W Reverse manual valve body? Anyone done one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R70W Reverse manual valve body? Anyone done one?

1996BLKBauer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
McHenry, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
So for my next project I was thinking about doing a reverse manual valve body in the trans, and running a ratcheting shifter, the truck will be a street strip setup, so I am not worried about it being annoying, but what I do want is an automatic, that I can shift like a manual. Nothing against manuals, but I feel like I can get a quicker shift with less power loss with an automatic. So has anybody here done one on an Explorer? If I'm the first I am totally happy with being the engineer, lol. Any input or advice would be great, I am so pumped for the project I cannot wait, but I got to save someone's for now, so I am simply researching. Thanks.

So either nobody is interested, I posted in the wrong part of the forum, or it can't be done? I will be talking to my old trans teacher soon, to see what he thinks is best, then I will post the info.

The 4R70W is electronically controlled, if you want it to shift like a manual you might be better off taking control of the computer or controlling the tranny electronically.

1st gear is solenoid 1 on
2nd gear is no solenoids on
3rd gear is solenoid 2 on
4th is both solenoids on

Controllers are available - Baumann Electronics and Summit has some too.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks, I will look into that. I am really not 100% on what I am doing as of yet, but I do know what I want, im down for a full custom setup if it makes me fast and happy.

Back