33" tires with stock axles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

33" tires with stock axles

I'm thinking of running 33"s with the 2" suspension lift and 3" body lift. Will this give me trouble on the trails, as I've only got 3.73 gears?

Should I stick with 31"s until I get new gears?

Any opinions would be helpful

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

33s and 3.73 wont cause you troble on the trail. You can use low range. It will cause you trouble on the street. It puts more stress on you drivetrain, kills your gas mileage and just plain take the fun out of driving a lifted X. Lots of people run 33s and a 3.73 axle ratio, I did for about a year. I regeared to a 4.56 ratio and the fun was back.

I've got the 4.0 SOHC

I want to get 4.56 gears, but the money isn't there right now. I'm not too worried about the street, cuz I got a sentra, that I drive to work lol

I got a K&N intake and a shop near me that's gonna be doing the exhaust in a month or so

Thanks,
Cheers:thumbsup:

You'll be fine with the 3.73, 4.10's would be better though. 4.56 is probably a little overkill unless the explorer is pretty much offroad only, or you plan to go up to 35's.

I have to disagree. IMO,if you go offroad much, or just like good throttle response. My Ranger has 31s 4.0 SHOC, 5-speed and 4.10 axle ratio. It is a luxuary to be able to put down enough torque spin the tires. My 91 X has 4.56 axle ratio with 33s (MT). the 4.56 ratio is just a hair lower (numerically higher) that stock 3.73 and 30-inch tire. With a mud tire, the additional rotational mass on the tire offsets the gearing. One last thing is the fun level. Mashing the gas and something actually happining is the best reason to go with 4.56.

Of coarse, if you spend most of you time on the pavement logging miles, then a 4.10 ratio will give you better gas milage.

I have to disagree. IMO,if you go offroad much, or just like good throttle response. My Ranger has 31s 4.0 SHOC, 5-speed and 4.10 axle ratio. It is a luxuary to be able to put down enough torque spin the tires. My 91 X has 4.56 axle ratio with 33s (MT). the 4.56 ratio is just a hair lower (numerically higher) that stock 3.73 and 30-inch tire. With a mud tire, the additional rotational mass on the tire offsets the gearing. One last thing is the fun level. Mashing the gas and something actually happining is the best reason to go with 4.56.

Of coarse, if you spend most of you time on the pavement logging miles, then a 4.10 ratio will give you better gas milage.

The 4.10's are also a lot cheaper since you can buy used axles with 4.10's already in them and swap them in yourself.

If your gonna use it for offroading and not a daily driver, dont waste your time with 4.10s, run what you have for now but save and get 4.56's u will be glad u did.

x2...3.73 to 4.10 isn't worth it.
remember, 2nd gen explorers started putting in 4.10 gears with stock 29" tires and their engines produce 50 more hp.

if you're going to do eventually, then buck up and do it now, or wait and risk replacing a transmission.

So, how bad will mileage be with 4.56s and 33's? If this puts the truck, practically back at stock.. it should get "decent" mileage.. 4.56's seem to be a good happy medium between street and off-road. Am I wrong? I don't see me getting all that torque I started out with back with 4.10s and 33's... I go on a lot of trips, and I ride plenty of trails.

A buddy of mine has an F150 with 33's (and the 5.0L), but he has 3.50's.... oh man.. and he goes on trips a Lot..

x2...3.73 to 4.10 isn't worth it.
remember, 2nd gen explorers started putting in 4.10 gears with stock 29" tires and their engines produce 50 more hp.

if you're going to do eventually, then buck up and do it now, or wait and risk replacing a transmission.

I totally agree that 3.73 to 4.10 isn't good for much. This is a 2nd gen being talked about though with the sohc, and a lot of guys seem to be happy with the 4.10 and 33" combo. 4.56 would be better if it was mostly off road but for a DD it seems like 4.10 is the better choice.

33's would be right at stock with a gear ratio at 4.25, those aren't available so you have the choice to go up or down. Also, a 33" tire is around 50lbs (52lbs for a BFG AT) where a 235/75/15 BFG AT is 37lbs. That's nearly 50% heavier at each wheel.

If you're going to pay the money, take the bigger step.

NOW with that said, and I know Techieman experienced this, if you have 3.73s you can probably snag a set at a junkyard from a truck with 4.10 gears, sell your 3.73 setup rear axle and the total cost is probably like $300 vs. $1000 for a gear swap. At that point I support the 4.10 swap.

When I do the gear upgrade, I'm going to be pulling my front driveshaft and having them do the rear only until I can afford the front... how much is each?... I remember getting quoted $1,200 or so a long time ago.. but that was 4.10's..

When I do the gear upgrade, I'm going to be pulling my front driveshaft and having them do the rear only until I can afford the front... how much is each?... I remember getting quoted $1,200 or so a long time ago.. but that was 4.10's..

It's going to depend on the brand of gears, locker or not, and what the shop charges you for labor. But there shouldn't be much if any difference in price for whatever ratio you choose.

I have the 3.73 on a baby 31"s and even a slight incline on the highway requires 3rd gear to get up. Rolling on 33" I'd probably keep the OD switched off anytime I'm going less than 70mph.
I lost at least 2-3 mpg too from 235s vs 31s.

Quick question, when going from 3.73 to 4.56 does the carrier have to be changed? I want to retain my limited slip without having to fork out even more money.... do I have to?..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back