Any other 1st gen owners in the uk? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any other 1st gen owners in the uk?

Voicey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer xlt
U.K 1st Gen Jurassic park project

hey guys, recently aquired a low miles, pretty immaculate 93 xlt. intended to do slowly make it a jurassic park replica, but itll probably be looking stock for a while yet. Any other 1st gen owners over here?
IMG_0862.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an imported second gen, but I'd love a first gen. Looks awesome! Almost too nice to convert.

Looks really nice. Presume its got the 4.0 ohv engine?

Thanks guys! yeah its a 1 owner 60k from new minter, 4.0 pushrod v6, means no timing chain woes at least. Ive had second thoughts about converting it but its the car Ive wanted since a kid, well Im still a kid mentally now lol vinyl wrap is always an option. Im having a replica jp brush guard/ bullbar made up for it firstly.

IMG_0883.jpg

FORDEXPLORER131.jpg

Its like brand new inside! Only niggles so far are rattle from the front brake pads because someone ommited the anti rattle clips and cruise isnt working, probably the amplifier.
Just bought a pair of matching bf all terrain tyres for the rear, painted up the faded pillars and plastics and oiled/ freed off the sticky auto hubs so far (dont think they'd ever been used). Going to get the delaminated windscreen replaced shortly too.

I'd be interested to hear how good [ or bad ] the BF's are for wet weather grip on corners. Mine dancers round if its on ice.

I havent been out in the wet yet, Ill send a report whether I make it home or end up upside down in a ditch! They are good looking tyres at least lol

Yes it appears the All terrains arent amazing on wet tarmac if honest, but reading up its about the same for any a/t tyre.

Ok Voicey, thanks for that.

If you do end up making a JP one and those deer hoof rims are surplus to requirements I may be able to re-home them :D

I have a set of taillight guards from a second-gen squareback I can donate if they're any use... I think they may be curved though.

Thanks mate that'd be awesome! I cant find any first gen taillamp guards at all, the second gen ones dont look all that different apart from the slight curve.
I'm going to jp it as The missus and I do a lot of comic cons and shows, but Not till Ive got most of the parts, so as it looks more than an ex with a paintjob (or wrap, not decided yet). The sawblade wheels are going to cost a pretty penny to ship a set it seems. So may have to wait a while.
In the mean time, small jobs, temporary cover up of the screen delamination using a 'savage racing' sunstrip lol
lZoZ7sp.jpg

qjU6ypY.jpg

EOVjT4v.jpg

Also finally got the missing clips for the front brake pads so it no longer sounds like something is about to fall off horrendously when driving along, given it a service and started on making up the t.v screen centre console, using modern 10" lcd monitors so I dont have to hack up the dash.

Wasnt sure whether to make a new thread, but progress will be slow anyway. Spent the past two evenings removing the xlt sill tupperware and welding up the remaining thousand holes, started to remove trim and flatted the poorly painted tailgate.
i40HhEy.jpg

xZk937b.jpg

Nice to see the work of a 'hands on bloke'. Keep the pictures coming.
I'm half way through rebuilding 'another' gearbox. Making a good one out of three I have, with all new wearable parts this time.
Good luck Kev.

Thanks! My biggest worry with the explorer is that damn transmission. although this is low miles and not going to see much in the way of serious use, it had a towbar when I bought it and its a bit concerning lol

Busy making my own go-rhino lookalike brushguard, using an old defender bullbar and some uprights I designed and laser cut myself, using pictures from the film. Not quite finished, just need to get some angle section for the lower bar and make a camera mount.
KRAYrov.jpg

uoiOZE4.jpg

weTXp7C.jpg

Thanks to Ilikemice I have taillamp guards! Theyre from a second gen so Just reprofiling them with some tube I had laying around to make em look spot on.
XccMycl.jpg

Awesome progress on the brush guard! The camera box thing under the front bumper is an outdoor battery box I believe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep got one lol and 2 fake security dome cameras to mount on it, fibreglass cb antennas and mounts for the mirrors arrived today too, going to go to the local 4x4 breakers see if theres any runningboards/ sidesteps I can adapt to look right, then wait for warmer weather to paint and just to find those damn sawblade wheels lol

Back