Blowing fuses even after I unplugged compressor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blowing fuses even after I unplugged compressor

geosnooker2000

Reaction score
City, State
Somerville TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
Blowing fuses even after I unplugged compressor *SOLVED!!*

Hello everyone!!!!

Got a toughie. My son drives an 07 escape. He called me from Atlanta Sunday headed back to Memphis and said his A/C was working great Saturday, but when they were leaving town Sunday it was blowing hot air. He said they stopped at an AutoZone and the guy "tested it and said there was too much pressure, so there must be too much freon in the system". I asked him if he tried to put freon in the system since this problem started and he said no. I asked if ANYBODY, guy at AutoZone included, has tried to put freon in the system. He said no. I told him to meet me when he got back in town and he could take my Explorer for Monday while I replaced either his compressor clutch, or the whole compressor, cuz that's what it sounded like to me.

I went first thing yesterday to AutoZone and asked my local guy who has always seemed pretty sharp about these things. We located the A/C compressor fuse and it was blown. YEAY!!!!! This just going to cost $5!!!!

:nono: :thumbdwn:

We ran through 2 new fuses. They blew immediately upon turning the A/C switch on at the dashboard. Like within 1 second. So, I know enough to unplug the compressor and put in a new fuse to rule out a wiring problem. After struggling mightily with a miniature engine compartment with a 3.0L crammed into it, I finally got the compressor clutch unplugged. I put in a new 15 amp fuse. POP! Put in one more just to make sure the dangling plug wasn't facing a piece of metal, and arced, relocated the dangling plug to a safe position. POP! I will say the last fuse took about 3 seconds to pop. But, I guess my question is, what do I do now? I bought a brand new multi-meter for this, I just don't know where to look and test.

Can anyone help me?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I switched the relay for the fog lamps (same part #) the fog lamps still worked, the A/C blew another fuse. If you are referring to the electric radiator fans, apparently not, as they still work when the A/C is switched on (and I would also assume on a hot day - high of 75 here today) even without a fuse in the A/C Clutch fuse space #14 . As far as a schematic:
0996b43f807d2a3e.gif

I was referring to the blower motor. So fuse # 14 is the one which keeps blowing? Does it blow with the A/C clutch relay removed?

The blower motor works in all positions. Yes, 14 is the one that keeps blowing. We have not tried it with the relay removed.

New development. We probed the down-hill side of the A/C fuse connection hole (again, this is all while the clutch connector is unplugged) and tested to ground and got no continuity, so that means there is no short. Then we pulled the diode and tested it in both directions. we got 002 in both directions. Just to have something to compare, we pulled the diode out of my Explorer (it is actually the Electronic Engine Controls Diode on my Explorer) and tested IT both ways. It read 570 ohms in one direction and 1 in the other direction. SOooooo..... We feel it is the diode. My son will go to the dealer parts counter on his lunch break tomorrow and buy a new one (AutoZone doesn't sell them), and give it a shot.

Swap the diode from the Explorer into it to test it before you buy another part.

The Explorer Diode is a different tab configuration, and would not plug into the fuse box on the Escape. My son already ordered the part from Ford parts counter today at lunch. It is supposed to be in tomorrow by lunch. I will let everyone know what happens next. If this is it, this will be the first time I have ever heard of a diode failing. Makes you wonder what could make the diode fail? Also makes me wonder if this has anything to do with his dome lights only working when they feel like it.

YEAY!!!!!!!

IT.

WAS.

THE.

DIODE!!!!!!!

My son reports he tested the new diode before he installed it. It read 570 ohms in one direction and 1 in the other direction. The bad one read 002 in one direction and 003 in the other. I assume that means roughly 2 or 3 ohms in either direction. He installed it, started the engine, no loud pop of a fuse blowing when he turned the A/C on, and the compressor stated right up. He said he's sure he looked like an idiot to the person next to him in traffic, but he said he didn't care.

Thanks for the update! This part usually lasts a long time. What did the dealer charge for the part? Good work troubleshooting! :thumbsup:

Roughly $10 per, and my son bought 2. Now he's got a backup Lol!!! I told him that wasn't necessary, but you know 22 year olds.... they know better than you...

A/C clutch fuse keeps blowing

I am having a problem, my a/c clutch fuse keeps blowing. Can anyone help me to correct this problem?

You will need a multimeter with a diode function. You could use an Ohmmeter if you don't have a multimeter. Check the resistance each way on the diode. One way has more resistance than the other way.

You will need a multimeter with a diode function. You could use an Ohmmeter if you don't have a multimeter. Check the resistance each way on the diode. One way has more resistance than the other way.

It was fine. And the fan speeds work as well.

Back