Help! Truck won't shift out of park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! Truck won't shift out of park

Gorby

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2003 Eddie Bauer
Hello,

I need some advise on getting my truck out of the mall lot...I went to go home this evening and I was unable to move the shift lever out of park while depressing the brake. I tried to move it while it's in acc, while the truck is off and I also noticed that the brake lights don't come on.

Any advice?????

I have a 2004 v8 Ford Explorer Eddie Buarer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

. . . and look for a blown fuse.

Thanks, is there a way to manual override the brake switch so I can at least take it home to my garage and replace it?

Sorry I just noticed that I typed 2004, It's a 2003 if that makes a difference. If there was a way to override it that would be great.

I've looked for the brake switch fuse (number 26 under the driver side panel) and it looks fine. Are there any other fuses I should look at?

My knowledge about the Explorer is related to installing an Explorer engine in an '82 Volvo. My fuse charts are not much help to you.

Anyone else got an Explorer fuse chart?

Shift interlock related fuses

In the Central Junction Box:
Fuse 23 (15 amps) > brake pedal position switch
Fuse 26 (7.5 amps) > brake shift interlock microprocessor
Fuse 13 (5 amps) > transmission control switch

In the Battery Junction Box:
Fuse 23 (30 amps) > key removal inhibit solenoid
Fuse 15 (15 amps) > instrument cluster microprocessor

For using the brake-shift interlock override refer to pages 146 thru 148 of the user's manual swshawaii provided a link to in his post.

Back