Newbie help with lots of upgrade questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie help with lots of upgrade questions

redranger98

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Ford Ranger 2x4 XLT
Hey all,
I'm turning my '98 Ford Ranger into an off roader and have multiple questions.
First, I'll give you a list of parts I've added to my online shopping carts:

Kenda Klever M/T KR29 Mud Terrain Radial tires (4)

Pro Comp Series 51 Wheel with Gloss Black Finish (15x8"/5x4.5") (4)

1983-1997 Ford Ranger 4x4 - 4" EZ-Ride Suspension Lift Kit

Aussie Locker Ford 9 inch 31 Spline XD-45831

These are a few of the items I've added, but I have some questions about them. I can see that the lift kit says its compatible with the '97 Ford Ranger, but is it compatible with the '98? If not where can I find a suspension lift that WILL fit a '98 but for a low price?
Also, I have know clue what size of locker I should be looking for, I've done a little research on this forum and found that a lot of guys were using the Aussie Locker, but I don't know which size to buy...

Answers appreciated! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the Ranger rear axles 31 spline? Or 29? And it should be 8.8", not 9". Unless it's rounding up.

Get that figured out before you buy. 31 is better but if your axle shafts are 29, it won't work.

therangerstation.com is saying:
Ford Ranger - The Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch axle used 28-spline shafts.

I have 8.8-Inch axles but its saying i have 28 spline?

The only Ranger 8.8" differentials with 31 spline axles are the 03+ FX4 Level II and the 02 FX4. I think some of the later models (around 2010) could order the 31 spline as an option.
The 31 spline was not available in 98 so you should have a 28 spline axle.

Thanks! As for the lift kit, is it compatible with a '98 even though its says '97?

Thanks! As for the lift kit, is it compatible with a '98 even though its says '97?

No. Completely different front suspensions on 97 and older and 98 and newer.

Back