• Register Today It's free!

I flushed the transmission.

don-ohio

Reaction score
City, State
jackson,ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Aerostar extended
The fluid didn't look bad after 83K, but since Advance Auto had synthetic Peak brand fluid for 5.99 a qt.,I bit the bullet and did the complete flush with 20 qts.
Nice and red and ready for 100K just like my old Aerostar did with synthetic.
Anyone else out there flush completely with new synthetic?
The van is doing great,and I've only had to put on front shocks.
BTW,I added a metal gas filter(3/8" in and 3/8" out) into the tranny cooler line,since the old fluid DID have some metallic specks throughout it.
I had one on my other Aero and it worked great,changing it every 10K or so. don-ohio :)^)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you see if this filter has an arrow for the fluid flow direction? There might be an internal check valve. The in line transmission filters have a built in magnet to catch metal bits. They are used on transmissions & power steering. The filter is on the return line.

Did you see if this filter has an arrow for the fluid flow direction? There might be an internal check valve. The in line transmission filters have a built in magnet to catch metal bits. They are used on transmissions & power steering.

Yes,the filter had an arrow,and I knew the direction of flow. Yes,I know the magnet is in there,but these bits were non-ferrous. This idea has really worked well for me,but then I don't let things get plugged up.
I don't recommend this if a person is gonna put it in there and forget about it for many thousands of miles. don-ohio :)

I was in a hurry,and Auto-Zone didn't have a filter kit,so I knew this would work and I went with it. I would RATHER have a trans.filter inline. don-ohio :)^)

Yes,new filter and gaskets,that's how I do my flush,is thru the filter sucking it up and thru the torque converter as it dumps the old fluid into the large wide pan under it.That's the best way I know to get rid of the old fluid without letting it mix much with the new.
But now I have the other inline filter,and I can pump out 3-4 qts. anytime to refresh the fluid if I want.
Yeah,I'd love to have a drain plug in the pan, but Ima too lazy to worry with it.LOL! Thanks for the input,Brooklyn! don-ohio :)^)

This tool comes in handy when you want to remove transmission fluid before you remove the pan: http://www.explorerforum.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php/product/321/cat/19
Griot_s_Garage_oil-liquid_extractor_.jpg

I used this tool to remove old fluid from my radiator today. I pumped it a few times, and it had enough suction to remove all of the dirty fluid that was in there. It takes a minute or two to fill up the whole cylinder. You don't need any batteries or electric outlets.

Very nice! We live in the `machine age' and I'm all for using machines to make life easier. don-ohio :)

How did you flush? Pull a line from the trans cooler? If so, which one?

Here's how to completely transfuse fluid

How did you flush? Pull a line from the trans cooler? If so, which one?

Here's how I did it:
THIS is for Aerostar....but you can modify the deal to fit most trannies.
Okay......unfortunately the Aerostar doesn't have a torque converter drain as you well know so THIS is how I got around it àn did a good flush.WARNING! It's messy! Wear old no-good clothes or an old raincoat.LOL!
(1) Put the van SECURELY up on stands or better yet,blocks high enough that you can slide a 3 gallon or bigger bucket that has a lid under there àn have 4" of clearance above it to the trans pan.Set it aside for later.
(2) You'll need one of those large flat drain pans from Auto-Zone about two feet by 3 feet to center under the tranny pan also.
(3) Okay, now you drain the fluid the regular old way àn get the pan out of the way.
(4) You now have a filter you're looking up at which has a suction hole there àn THAT is what you'll either clamp a hose to or you'll have to hold it in place later(I have a perfect hose that's flexible,about 1"diameter that I think I cut off a washing machine drain hose).
(5)This hose will need to be proper length to reach ALMOST to the bottom of the bucket from the filter attachment.
(6)NOW you're gong to fill that bucket up with nice clean fluid àn slide it into position under that filter hole.
(7) Okay,if you're in a garage,open the door for fumes.
(8) Either clamp your hose or hold it up TIGHTLY to the intake hole of the filter,the bottom of that hose extending into the fluid ALMOST touching the bucket's bottom
(9) Have someone start the van àn prepare to get fluid on you. Tell them in advance to have their window down so they can hear you yell to shut it off when the fluid goes empty in the bucket.
(10) This will suck the fluid up,propel it thru the torque converter àn do a great,quick flush of the system.
(11) Now you only have to install your new filter,install your pan,àn add about 4 qts. or so thru the dipstick hole, àn CLEAN UP! LOL!
This is worth the trouble!You'll necessarily waste several qts. of fluid,but that's what it takes to do it completely,àn get that nice clean red fluid back again. don-ohio :)^)

That does sound messy!

I used this tool to remove old fluid from my radiator today. I pumped it a few times, and it had enough suction to remove all of the dirty fluid that was in there. It takes a minute or two to fill up the whole cylinder. You don't need any batteries or electric outlets.

How would you use this to get water out of the cooling system? Radiators aren't built to be able to get a tube down to the bottom.

Back