Steering wheel off center | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel off center

The wheel should be centered as a part of any alignment job. Many places have a clamp or slip on thingie to ensure it is centered.

Do you have any slop or free play in the wheel?

Mine is nice & tight with no play.

I adjusted the wrong way so I put back where it was at. I will try again tomorrow.

I don't trust the shop to do it right.

When I get new tires I will have the alignment checked again. My current set is so FUBAR from the ball joints being shot it's not going to hurt if I end up just a smidge off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dan, be very careful adjusting your tie rods. A certain amount of toe in is designed into the alignment and if a tire is toed out, you can wear it very quickly. I'd return it to the alignment shop and make them fix it right.

Evan, I marked the tie rods before I started & counted & wrote down the amount of turns so if it doesn't feel right or track right I can put it back to where the shop had it.

independent rear suspension has tie rods, my rear Toe was about 14 degrees off which explains alot.

2002 & up you can do 4 wheel alignments but not on 1991-2001 or any other rear solid axle equiped Explorer variant.

A metal round pin 1.5 inches long fell out from a hole under my gear shift on the steering column. Gear shift is a little loose and sloppy. Do I push it back in?

Back