• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer. Suspension noise.

sb11591

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 E.B. 5.0 Awd
I have horrible suspension noise coming from my 1997 ford explorer. Ive been reading online, all sources indicate the sway bar bushings. Common problem? Ive heard similar noises coming from rangers and explorers of various years.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of common noises, but not sure what noise you're talking about- more info needed! :)

I ran into a similar with my 97 when I had it... was it more along the lines of a horrible, loud creaking noise whenever you hit a pot hole or bump?

Yea! its a horrible creaking noise, when i turn the steering wheel. go over bumps, or turn in a parking lot. slow speeds its alot worse. and somedays it wont make a noise but the majority of the time its making the noise.

so did u grease the ball joints.

Yea! its a horrible creaking noise, when i turn the steering wheel. go over bumps, or turn in a parking lot. slow speeds its alot worse. and somedays it wont make a noise but the majority of the time its making the noise.

Oh yeah, it sounds just like mine did. I never got around to fixing it, since i ended up trading it in for my 2003... but i'd still be interested to know what it could be.

greasing the ball joints.

No, I haven't but I will I'm doing the brakes soon so I might as well... but I've heard a lot about sway bar bushings? I think Ill just replace those too. Any suggestions?? :thumbsup:

Back