• Register Today It's free!

PO471 Code?

Texaswildman

Reaction score
City, State
KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Merc Mounty 5.0
Hey guys, love these forums. I have a 2000 Mountaineer that I just picked up and it has some issues that I am working on.

Had a code of PO471, symptoms are sluggish acceleration. Idles fine, runs fine, achieves speed fine if given steady slow acceleration. But at WOT it almost is sluggish.

Any help is appreciated.

Guy at Advance Auto said it's the Cat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wildman, can you get someone to check your cats with an infrared tester? That is a simple way to see if they are working correctly. From your symptoms, maybe the cats are clogged???

Wildman, can you get someone to check your cats with an infrared tester? That is a simple way to see if they are working correctly. From your symptoms, maybe the cats are clogged???

Thanks Doc. I think I can. Can this also be accomplished with a thermal laser type thermometer (I have one of those) and just look for excessive heat in the cat? If I recall the code was something like Excessive Pressure in Exhaust or EGR?

Also, how many cats are on this thing? I've never seen an exhaust with so many cat/resonator looking things. lol I am guessing the cat (if it is a single cat) is directly after the 02 sensor?

P0471 doesn't exist? Sure its not p0174?

P0471 doesn't exist? Sure its not p0174?

I'm pretty sure that is what it said. I've worked on a ton of vehicles and have seen most codes and this one threw me too. Researching on the net the code is most common with diesels, which the below may be referring to.

Now I'm wondering now if the DPFE could be the issue and could it make it actually run that bad?

EDIT EDIT: This is for a diesel. Now I'm really confused...lol
Here is a link about that code: http://engine-codes.com/p0471_ford.html

Copy/paste:

P0471 FORD - Exhaust Pressure Sensor Range/Performance

Symptoms

- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)

Possible causes

- Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor

Possible solution

Replacing the exhaust back pressure usually takes care of the problem

When is the code detected?

An EBP signal that is detected out of range (high or low) by the PCM will cause the engine to ignore the EBP signal and disable exhaust back pressure operation.

P0471 FORD Description

The exhaust back pressure (EBP) sensor is a variable capacitance sensor that, when supplied with a 5-volt reference signal from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), produces a linear analog voltage signal that indicates pressure.

The EBP sensor's primary function is to measure exhaust back pressure so that the PCM can control the exhaust back pressure regulator (EPR) when needed.

Back