Trailer Brake Controller Recomendations | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Brake Controller Recomendations

I'll be in the market for trailer brake controller in the next couple of months. If all my plans come together, I'll be taking a cargo trailer from Chicago to Idaho and back (potentially as many as 3 times, thinking about 5000 pounds max load going out and empty coming back). So far I am leaning towards a 16 foot model with brakes on both axles.

As it stands right now, my 1997 Explorer V8 AWD is going to play tow vehicle. My route will cross some pretty steep elevations and I am thinking that a proportional controller would be best.

Does anyone have a favorite as far a ease of use and effectiveness?

If this happens, I'll be adding another or bigger cooler to the transmission as well as buying a weight distributing hitch

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I originally looked at the Tekonsha Primus IQ and Prodigy P2. Both are proportional controllers and use accelerometers for brake control. I settled on the Primus IQ as I didn't need the additional mounting or electric over hydraulic brake options. It is about $30 cheaper and runs in the $90-$95 range as opposed to the P2's $125.

Setting the unit is pretty easy. It is also not hard to make adjustments as you drive. Once the voltage is set it seems to work well although I have yet to really test with an unplanned panic stop. I will also need more time driving to determine how my vehicle and trailer brakes are wearing.

Other than the minimal room to access the brake pedal wiring on the drivers side the install was straight forward. If I had to do it again I would likely remove the front seat. I mounted the circuit breaker by the battery and routed the wires along the drivers side frame. I used an existing hole to get wires through the firewall. As I do not have the tow package I also ran a 12V accessory and brake light controller line. All of this then got hooked up to a 7 pin connector for the travel trailer. The accessory recharges the battery on my TT which is used for dry docking but the battery also powers the trailer emergency brakes in the event of a disconnect. I recommend a similar setup on your trailer.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll take a look at those units.

I'm using the Tekonsha P3. Very happy with it:thumbsup: They make plug and play adapters for most vehicles. I transferred mine from my '05 F150 to my '01 F250 with no wiring needed. Just plug it into the factory plug under the dash

Thanks for the recommendation.

Tekonsha P3. I have two of these. Easy to install in the Ford chassis RV, just plug it into the existing wiring harness. On the Chevrolet Silverado, different story. Had to connect all the wires to the available wires that terminated under the dash, and hook up some other power wires under the hood. Not a big deal, but they could have made it easier.

Brake controller works great on a boat trailer, horse trailers (multiple), utility trailer.

I have the original Prodigy, and this will be it's 12th season of camping use in 2 Chrysler minivans (towing popup camper) and the current rig (see sig line). This was the top of the Tekonsha line before they change the name to the "P2" and added the P3 to the lineup.

Do not get the original "Primus" (note missing the "IQ" designation). It's missing some of the better self-leveling tech.

From what I have gathered, the newer "Primus IQ" is functionally the same as my original "Prodigy". But the housing is not as user-friendly as the Prodigy, as it has a linear slider, vs the rotating lever for manual control (a very minor thing, really). If you want to save $20-30 bucks, fine. Otherwise, the current "P2" uses the original Prodigy case and controls.
The P3 will cost you another $30 over the P2. For that, you get a more user friendly LCD display (vs digital codes on IQ and P2), so you are reading actual words instead of remembering/looking up codes.

Honestly if my Prodigy ever dies, I'm not sure what I'd get. I would not want the Primus IQ, as I'm already used to the way the manual apply lever works without looking. So for me, if buying new, I'd get the P2 or the P3.

Notice the vast thumbs-up for Tekonsha controller. Doing a search, you will find this is consistent, especially for the Prodigy over the years. Also realize that other controllers will say "proportional" but that does not mean accelerometer-based, like these 3 units. Even the Tekonsha Voyager is "proportional" but is uses (IIRC) a swinging pendelum, which is a moving part that must be leveled and will wear out.

Back