A4LD rebuild progress | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A4LD rebuild progress

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope the output shaft does not look like the picture.. The picture is of the overdrive center shaft that the overdrive planets fits into, yours probably has the ring gear still attached. Just check the small end of that overdrive hub shaft for wear.

The brass race is the bushing for the drum, from what I can see it looks to be ok.

Check the areas in red for wear, the flat washer with the lugs fit in this spot. just lay the washer on the drum and see how much wear there is between the two pieces. If there is a lot of wear it can cause the planet to contact the steels.

The planet itself should be fine, the wear from the plate is not a big deal.

OD Drum.JPG

Even looking at the pics I can see there is wear, do you agree? Either way I really appreciate this. I don't really know what to look for in a rebuild, first one I've done. I just hope I can get it all together ok. I have a manual, but I wish the reassembly pics were a little clearer.
Wouldn't by chance know where to get a cheap spring compressor, I've seen a bunch on Ebay but don't want to spend too much. So far for this whole tranny fix I have about $1300 invested in it, that's including the crap salvage tranny I took a chance on, lesson learned I guess.

Sounds good, this is the one I was going to get.

I hope the output shaft does not look like the picture.. The picture is of the overdrive hub that the overdrive planets fits into, yours probably has the ring gear still attached. Just check the small end of that overdrive hub shaft for wear.

The brass race is the bushing for the drum, from what I can see it looks to be ok.

Check the areas in red for wear, the flat washer with the lugs fit in this spot. just lay the washer on the drum and see how much wear there is between the two pieces. If there is a lot of wear it can cause the planet to contact the steels.

The planet itself should be fine, the wear from the plate is not a big deal.

I set that washer inside wear you circled in red, and there is definitely a lot of play. Not sure how much is normal, but there is at least 1/32 inch play in there.

1/32 is pretty small, I would expect that on a drum with no wear. From what I can see in the picture there is some wear there, I have seen worse for sure, I have even seen them strip in that location.

Its up to you to replace the drum, I would be concerned about why the planet is contacting the plate. If it continues it will create debris and this can cause the governor and valve body to stick the valves.

Make sure you check the hub with the center shaft "shown in my previous pictures" for wear on the end that fits into the output shaft and the bushing or bearing in the output shaft.

Any way to find a clear exploded view of the transmission for reassembly? I have a manual but looks like everything was hand drawn and not very clear.

Thank you this is very helpful. I'm having a hard time now with the band struts on the servo side. Can't seem to find a diagram of that assembly.

Misplaced my intermediate band strut anchor. Anyone know where I can find a new one? Brooklynbay, I just looked at your band adjustment thread with pics and noticed that it doesn't seem to have an anchor bracket for the intermediate band strut like the OD. Is this true? I've been tearing my garage apart looking for one that I maybe dropped.

IMAG0170_zpsf748af5b.jpg

There is only one bracket, and it goes in the overdrive section. The intermediate band does not have a bracket for the band lever.

Thank you I did see that in one of the pictures. I guess that means it moves freely up and down the pin?
This is what happens when you drag out a weekend project into a couple of months, Haha.

I finally got the transmission all reassembled except one problem I have an extra thrust washer which is a torrington bearing. I'm pretty sure it went in between the sun shell and the brass washer on the reverse planet. See pictures. The reason I left it out is because it was impossible to install the center support with it in and the wear on the sun shell indicated that there was more friction than that bearing would have produced. Question is where did it go. It's my understanding that in the later years 93-94 the brass thrust washers were replaced with torrington bearings.

WHere does the washer on the left go?
IMAG0190_zps1470e792.jpg

I was pretty sure it went on top of the brass washer which goes on top of the reverse planet.
IMAG0191_zps90dd7b1f.jpg

I'm pretty sure I found out that it goes in between the ring gear and forward planet in the direct drum.

9411828618_cb1c90d944_c_zpsd86cbb2e.jpg

Yes that looks right for the bearing, the brass washer with the three tangs goes between the rear planet and the sun gear shell.

Looks like I will be taking it apart again, no biggie, I've done it about 4times at this point. Needless to say I'm getting to know this transmission very well. Last thing I have to decide to swap them myself or pay someone.

Yes that looks right for the bearing, the brass washer with the three tangs goes between the rear planet and the sun gear shell.

So there is just the brass washer between the sun gear shell and the reverse planet? I can see there is wear there, it just seems like a lot of friction at that point. Or do they press together when the clutches are engaged? I just know for sure that torrington bearing does not go on top of that brass washer because it's impossible to get the center support in with it in there at that location.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back