Turn Signal Lights Stop Flashing

Exproblems

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Yesterday while driving, I noticed my turn signal lights stopped flashing, blinking on and off. The lights lit up, but didn't blink and froze like that on the dash and on the outside turn signal lights. This happened once before but they started working again after I jiggled the turn signal handle around. Today they worked okay. I've done some research in here on this problem and read where some people had issues with a "multifunction switch" inside the steering column. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this since the turn signal lights do work and have power going to them, so it's not a bulb or turn signal flasher problem as far as I know. Could this just be a loose wire problem in the steering column and what could cause them to stop blinking yet they light up and have power going to them? Also, if anyone knows how to remove the steering column cover to get at the turn signal handle guts, please let me know. Thanks for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

>>>>>>>>>>>>
A BIG Thank You to BigRondo, he's got a Sticky on this http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279556
Yes it could be the pins inside the connector for the multifunction switch.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks XLT03 for the reply and info and to Big Rondo for another great post and pics of the repair. When I searched for this type of article, Big R's post didn't come up. I saw some other posts from other people on this topic. Do you happen to know the cost of a Multifunction Switch? From the pics I have seen of it, it appears fairly large and since it is a Ford product, expensive? Also, could the fact that I keep the tilt steering column in the highest or upper most position when I drive, cause any problems with the function of this Multifunction Switch? All the other functions (wipers and washer fluid) appear to work okay, just the turn signal lights quit blinking every now and then. Thanks again!

It is the turn signal flasher in the central junction box.

>>>>>>>>>>
It is the turn signal flasher in the central junction box.
>>>>>>>>>>

Is the turn signal flasher unit and round like, plug in device that is plugged into the fuse box located under the driver side foot well area? I've never changed one or ever had problems with any turn signal Multifunction switches etc, other than have a few turn signal bulbs burn out over time in 34 years of driving. Thanks for the suggestion Swetrid!

Hey, did you ever figure out the problem?? I am having the same problem with my Explorer right now.

There is a flasher relay on the back side of the main fuse panel under the drivers side dash. If you look in the owners manual it will show were to look. It states that you have to remove the fuse panel to change it, not so. If you feel above the fuse panel you will feel the relay, I used a very small flat screwdriver to lift up the relay. Note make a mark on the relay before you remove it, with a pen, marker, etc... This will show how to put back the new one. I went to Pep Boys and got the relay, sorry forgot the part number. Cost was $12.99+tax. Reinstalling the relay, just line the pins before you install with the old one with marks will show which direction to to place it back in. Worth a try before you go installing a new multi function switch.

Thanks for the suggestion to try this out. My scenario was the turn signal would activate, then anywhere from 5 seconds to 45 seconds it would just stop blinking (with the light off). This would happen turning both left and right.

I decided rather than taking apart the steering wheel to try the flasher, and viola: 10 minutes later it was working.

There is a flasher relay on the back side of the main fuse panel under the drivers side dash. If you look in the owners manual it will show were to look. It states that you have to remove the fuse panel to change it, not so. If you feel above the fuse panel you will feel the relay, I used a very small flat screwdriver to lift up the relay. Note make a mark on the relay before you remove it, with a pen, marker, etc... This will show how to put back the new one. I went to Pep Boys and got the relay, sorry forgot the part number. Cost was $12.99+tax. Reinstalling the relay, just line the pins before you install with the old one with marks will show which direction to to place it back in. Worth a try before you go installing a new multi function switch.
OK it might be the year but my fuse box is on the side and I did not find a relay on the side under or anywhere. Has anyone a 2005 sport trac that had this issue and fixed it? In my case it looks like it started when someone sprayed a cleaner behind the fuse box but it could be as everyone else is saying that its the MFS. Can anyone answer, please.

^ What problems are you having? Intermittent turn signals? IF you have a tilt column, try cycling it up and down several times leaving it all the way UP. If that helps you have the common MFS connector binding issue.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf

Also be aware your ST has "another" power distribution fuse/relay box under the hood just aft of the battery. (Pages 192-194)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/05p27og3e.pdf

^ What problems are you having? Intermittent turn signals? IF you have a tilt column, try cycling it up and down several times leaving it all the way UP. If that helps you have the common MFS connector binding issue.
http://www.mysporttrac.com/MySportTrac/projects/Steering_Column_Wiring_Repair_Gen1.pdf

Also be aware your ST has "another" power distribution fuse/relay box under the hood just aft of the battery. (Pages 192-194)
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/05p27og3e.pdf
Yes intermittent sometimes it will run fine all day then just stay on no blinking. My steering wheel has never been moved since I bought it and I d
ok so try the tilt thing didn't work. So I am guessing it's the relay under the hood just doesn't make sense the relay covers more than just the blinker. How come everything else is working fine!?!?

I have encountered this issue as well. I activated the hazard flashers also to recreate the scenario. The issue: directional switch in either position (Left/Right) or Hazard flasher activated, the dashboard indicator light may blink normal or stay lit at times. My conclusion is that the fuses are good as I have power, the bulbs are good as they light up around the exterior, the signal lever is good as the correct indicator lights activate...... I will change he flasher relay and post a follow-up when done.

I have encountered this issue as well. I activated the hazard flashers also to recreate the scenario. The issue: directional switch in either position (Left/Right) or Hazard flasher activated, the dashboard indicator light may blink normal or stay lit at times. My conclusion is that the fuses are good as I have power, the bulbs are good as they light up around the exterior, the signal lever is good as the correct indicator lights activate...... I will change he flasher relay and post a follow-up when done.

Be sure to get the proper blue motorcraft one (Part #: SF633) and not the black "electronic" one.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...otorcraft-flasher/sf633/4489789?q=SF633&pos=0

Back