2008 Limited 4.6L small coolant leak. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2008 Limited 4.6L small coolant leak.

pjw73nh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
08 LTD
I've seen many posts about earlier models with radiator/coolant leak issues, but my understanding is that they were pretty much limited to those earlier models and that the issue was fixed by the time the 2008 models came out.

I've got a coolant leak on the drivers side of the radiator. I don't drive the vehicle that much because I use it primarily for towing in the good weather seasons. I drive it once a week unless we have snow than I drive it more.

I have seen small amounts of coolant (yellow/gold) in the snow when parked. It does not appear to be very much, but it does concern me.

Anyway, here is a link to some pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103956...&authkey=Gv1sRgCKKLr6qIypnEFw&feat=directlink

I was hoping someone might have some suggestions as to where to look for this leak. I looked from the bottom and the top (without access to a lift) and I couldn't see anything revealing.

Any thoughts appreciated...

P.../NH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely leaking radiator!
Don't spent more time in searching. You need a new one.

9838674umr.jpg

9838675ofa.jpg

I had the exact same issue on my 06 V8 limited. Got some of the Ford stop leak tablets and so far so good....

I spent over $700 for new radiator on my 07 V8 recently.

X2 you have a cracked radiator. I had mine replaced as well.

I swapped my radiator due to the crimp on the tanks not sealing correctly. I installed a Spectre name brand about 30000 miles ago, and so far so good. I just need to get off of my lazy a$$ and swap out my oil filter adapter gasket now. Good luck with your Rad

Update:

I got under the car this weekend to have a look-see. I partially removed the lower fan shroud (drivers side) and pried it up and took a few pictures. I also removed the front splash guard to get a look up in front too.

See my pictures here: I put the newer ones up front.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1039561...eat=directlink

Looks like there is coolant on both the radiator (in the back) and the condenser (in the front).

I have three questions.

1. If my coolant in the overflow tank AND the radiator is *GOLD*, Why is there *GREEN* leaking at the bottom of the radiator?

2. If I have to replace the radiator, the manual says there are special tools needed for the transmission lines and the fan clutch bolt(s).

2A. Can I substitute anything to remove the transmission lines?

2B. Do I *REALLY* need to take the fan and fan clutch out to replace the radiator?

3. Do you think the schmutz I took from the overflow tank is some kind of stop-leak that was added before I got the vehicle? It's only ABOVE the fluid line, and the coolant is clear.

Thanks for anything you might be able to offer.... .

p-------

1. It may look green like on my picture above, but it is (or should be) yellow.

2. The only special tool for removing the transmission lines is an easy to get piece of plastic. Costs about 10$.

2A. No

2B. No, you can remove the radiator without removing the fan clutch. I did it two times. (See other thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2937088&postcount=6)

3. Does it look like this?:

10215849ax.jpg

Just remove the schmutz, clean the tank and filter the fluid. This is not stop-leak.

Search this forum. There are some threads about removing the radiator.
I also posted pictures.

Lukas Tnx for the reply. I just noticed you have the 6 cylinder. I have the 4.3 V8. I wonder if I really DO need to take the fan and fan clutch out because of the different engine?

Also, with regard to the coolant color I see at the bottom (leak). You say "should be" yellow/gold. We both know that it SHOULD be, but I know the leak is green, and I KNOW my radiator and overflow are gold.

I gave the green stuff the "taste test" on Friday. It is NOT coolant. Very very bitter and a very teeny drop diffused like a surfactant in my mouth. (yes, I know its poison). Could this be an AC additive of some sort? Maybe the UV dye they use to find leaks ? AC Lubricant? Maybe trans fluid from the cooling lines? Anything else?

I went for a short trip with the trailer (6000 lbs) this weekend about 60 miles in pretty hilly terrain. Friday was pretty hot. Coolant temp was around 205-225 and trans temp was around 200-218 depending on load. AC worked fine, and there was no coolant loss from the overflow (I marked it, and dated it on the overflow early last week).

Tnx

P.../NH

pjw73nh

just for the heck of it, take out the overflow tank and see if that has a small hole in it, I had the same problem and it was a small hole rubbed thru the over flow container.

@pjw

Interesting, I found the same schmutz shortly before my radiator began leaking.
I've added another picture of my leaking radiator.
What you can see IS coolant. And you are right, it looks green, but it IS yellow coolant!
Also they add "bittering agent" to prevent the coolant from being drunk inadvertently. Maybe that's what you have tasted.

10263492sz.jpg

Here is a link to the special tool for removing the trans cooler lines:

https://rotunda.spx.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?itemID=19062

Lukas,

Tnx for the pic and the link. Your pic looks exactly like mine. Same drip pattern, same location. Interesting comment about the "schmutz".

Please understand I am not being argumentative about this at all. I REALLY appreciate all the replies and help you have provided. I am more interested in getting to the bottom of it. Which I suspect I will need to get the shrouds off the radiator and pressurize the cooling system. More work than I want to do at this time. I am going to wait until the leak (or whatever the issue is) becomes more severe.

Just a comment on the bitter taste thing. I have seen recently several products that have been labeled "bitterant added". Stuff like spray paint, fertilizer. Basically stuff that has other "unintended" or abusive uses.

Just as an A-B comparison (last Friday), I tasted the coolant in the overflow and it was sweet. No bitterness at all. I tasted a drop right from the Ford gold coolant jug. Sweet. Would the bitterant be added after it's in the cooling system? Or would something in the cooling system cause it to "acquire" the bitter taste?

Tnx

Pjw.

PS. Where (on the rad itself) was the leak on your rad?

pjw,

the Ford Premium Gold Engine Coolant already contains the bittering agent:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...gent&category=A/C and Engine Cooling Products

Excuse me, but I don't want to taste it right out of the bottle ...! ;)

As far as I know the V6 and V8 use the same radiator.
The leak was on the top left side of the rad (driver side). Tried to get it repaired, but it was only waste of money and a second removing and installing procedure.

Did you already think about changing the 20 psi radiator cap to a 16 psi cap?

10266340zh.jpg

Update:. Weekend tear down (and a UV light with yellow glasses) revealed a leaking condenser. I didn't have access to the necessary Robinair refrigerant machine to do the job, so I brought the car to my local guy that did. We both worked on it. R134 was down by a little less than half of a charge. AC still blew cold though. Radiator was fine. Now it blows REALLY cold, and so far no leak. Will keep you posted if necessary..

P.../NH

Update: Yes, it WAS the condenser. It has been 6 weeks and not a drop of fluid leak. Definitely the condenser.

best.

P.../NH

Update: Yes, it WAS the condenser. It has been 6 weeks and not a drop of fluid leak. Definitely the condenser.

best.

P.../NH

I have the same leak on both sides. Are you sure it was the condenser? There is no antifreeze in the condenser. I assume I have a radiator leak but it's odd how fluid is dripping at the bottom on both sides just like the pics in this tread. Thoughts anyone?

Sorry to drag up such an old thread.

Jay, yes in my case it absolutely was the condenser. It is still holding a year later ( I wish my rear AC evap return was !!!!) Couple of points.

1. The refrigerant and/or dye in it is green (looks just like coolant).
2. My coolant is gold in color
3. I know I will catch some grief for this but I put the very tip of my finger in the green stuff and tasted it. A VERY LITTLE !!!!. It is oily, very bitter and the taste disperses in your mouth like dish soap on the surface of a bowl of water (surfactant). The coolant has a bitterant, but nowhere near as strong as the refrigerant, does not disperse and the coolant still has a sweet taste to it.

In my case it most definitely was the condenser. I have not done my radiator. Yet. I suppose there is the possibility that it was done before I got the car, but I have all dealer service records on the car, and the dealer did not do a radiator.

Hope this helps.

P..../NH

Ahh... That makes sense now. I checked my coolant tonight and the level was fine. I had to top off my a/c near the end of summer last year and it's totally gone now. Guess it was the condenser. Thanks for the follow up!

Back